Friday, March 03, 2006

Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers...

The holiday is long over, and now I face a holiday-less month of March. But the weeks go by quickly and the weather is getting warmer so there is not much to complain about.

Tomas and Eva took me for a cross-country skiing excursion two Sundays ago. Here's some background: I haven't been cross-country skiing in about 12-14 years. So Tomas thought it would be a great idea to go for a simple 30 kilometre sprint through the Orlicke Hory (Eagle Mountains). 30 Km!! You can imagine how dead I was at the end. I fell a few times too...cut my face up a bit...but it was fun, and worth it. Surprisingly, I didn't feel too bad the next day.

Also last week, I went to Prague to visit a friend there, and to visit the Canadian Embassy to discuss some visa considerations. Just there for the day though, so nothing too exciting. My friend Hedvika took me to see some live salsa music, then we met up with her boyfriend, Ivan, later at a birthday party.

This past Sunday night, I couldn't sleep. I had some kind of insomnia. So instead of laying in bed doing nothing, I turned on the light and decided to be productive. What did I do? I read The Da Vinci code. All of it. Well, okay, almost all of it. I had started reading the book at 8pm that night, couldn't sleep, so I kept reading it the whole night through until I was to wake up at 6:30am the next morning. When I finally went to work on Monday, I had about 50 pages left. What do I think? Well, it's obviously an entertaining book, and intriguing with its discussions about symbology and secret societies. Unfortunately though Dan Brown doesn't back up any of his writing with a bibliography. Some resources would be nice to see, but without them it leads me to believe that he made most of it up. Even still, it's pretty creative fiction! Jen has been trying to make me read this book for years, so there, I hope you're happy. (Hey Jen, I'm almost done Angels and Demons now too).

Uncle John, no I'm not going crazy. Let me explain. In the Czech Republic they don't really care about Canadian hockey, so the game wasn't being broadcast. I could either have tried to run across town looking for a bar that has satellite (not all of them do), and would be willing to play the game for me. This is difficult to do, you know, not knowing the language and all. So if I tried that, and it was successful...brilliant! But if I tried and was unsuccessful, not only would I have missed the hockey game, but I would miss Jeff Buttle winning the bronze, because the skating was on regular cable, in all of the bars. As it happened, I found a bar to play the Canada game for me, but they only played the first period and then flipped over to UEFA (soccer). I HATE soccer! So I left and found another place to watch Buttle win bronze. It wasn't hockey, but at least it was Canadian. And Larry can give you a full report on the Czech beer when he returns from visiting in May.

This weekend I teach on Saturday morning, but I go to a village outside of Hradec Kralove in the afternoon for a house party with Tomas, Eva, and Ilca. Tonight I meet my friends Mike and Petra, and Tomas might join us, for some friendly beers. Mike stole me a nice beer mug from the bar last time we were out, so we'll see what we can do tonight. It's a hobby of his. (sound familiar Mom?).

Jessica visits in two weeks. Looking forward to that! We're gonna stay in Prague for the first weekend and then I'll bring her back to see Hradec for the week. Can't wait Jess!

Till next post...(copyright 2006, Jeff Gulley--this means YOU Ty and Amanda :)

P.S. Happy Birthday today Uncle John, and tomorrow Jen.

7 Comments:

Blogger Liver-Paul said...

Gulley, I'm mortally wounded - you HATE soccer, in caps, no less! Far too North American for your own good lad ;)
Nice to see you back from holidays - will keep reading despite your anti-soccer stance!

6:36 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi;
It was a sad day for us when the men lost, but it has created some neat cartoons. all in all, it was a good olympics for Canada. the weather here is really nice today, sunshine and everything. Its nice to see the roads starting to get bare again.
Grandpa had his right catarac removed 2 weeks ago Monday and is going this Monday to get the second one done. With his improved eyesight, he might even be able to golf better and maybe win the championship. (again) Haha.
Glad to hear you are getting some exercise skiing. Keep you in shape
Talk to you soon.

Love Gram

3:46 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I leave for Italy in 26 hours and 41 minutes !!! That means exactly 1o days, 2 hours and 41 minutes until I get to Prague! Can't wait! See you then...
Luv always, ~Jess

4:24 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I messed up the figures on that last post... But who cares! It's just really soon and I am super excited! ;) :p
~Jess

4:29 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, buddy!

I got your message yesterday (two days ago now). Thanks for the birthday wishes! Mom says you sent me an email too, but I haven't checked it in a while so when I get back from France, I'll reply...also can you resend your phone number, 'cuz I lost the one you sent before. Thanks!

Missed an entry last week, it is nice to see how you are making out over there.

Talk to you soon!

Your big sis,

Jen

12:53 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay give us an update on the Jersey situation, did you get to wear your Team Canada jersey or did you have to wear the Czech jersey or did you wear a jersey at all... hah the question is outdated but unfortunately i have not had that much time to be asking mindless things like that!
talk to ya soon brotha

12:19 a.m.  
Blogger gulldogg said...

Hey sorry Kar...I forgot to say that even though Canada beat the Czechs, the kids still showed up with the jersey because the Czechs medalled and the Canadians didn't. So I was a good sport and wore it for one day. It was a Jagr jersey to boot. I think that's the main reason why I was terribly ill last week.

1:15 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home