Wednesday, December 21, 2005

A Winter´s Tale

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of my faithful readers. ("Vesele Vanoce a Stastny Novy Rok", in Czech).

So this will be my last post for quite awhile, as I´ll have no internet access through the Christmas holidays. So I will leave you with this for now, with all of my warmest wishes for Christmas.

I received a great surprise the other day when I went to pick up a package from the Česke Pošta. My Aunt Lorraine and Uncle Joe and Grandma Bea sent me a nice package with some gifts (lots of candy canes!!). Part of the gift included a bottle of real Canadian Maple Syrup!! Which I must say, I was very pleased to see. Now I can make pancakes (they don´t sell syrup here at all...not even Aunt Jemima). There was also some photos from my Mom´s 50th birthday party, which will be a nice thing to have and look at when I miss home.

So yesterday was our last day of classes, and I´m just here cleaning up my office and grabbing some things I need before I leave for the holidays (lots of papers on "cosmetic surgery" to mark over the break). Yesterday afternoon we had a student/teacher volleyball game at the local Sokol (like the YMCA). The teachers, I am happy to report, won. I don´t want to sound egotistical here either, but I played volleyball for 8 years through public school and high school, and I don´t think I´ve ever played as well as I played yesterday...and it´s been a good 4 or 5 years since I last played a game too....I wish they did this more often, because it was a lot of fun!

Also, a couple nights ago, our headmaster, Dr. Bartuška organized a staff bowling night out. It was pretty fun....some pictures are attached at the end of this post.

And finally, I am happy to say that Zuzana has officially left the German guy to be with me.

So, that´s all the latest. I hope everyone, all my family and friends, have the greatest holiday season ever. Don´t worry about me because I´m being looked after here. I´ll be in Moravia with Tomáš and Eva and Eva´s parents. By the way, did you know that the main Christmas meal in the Czech Republic is baked carp? Thought you might find that interesting. So think of me on the 24th, because I´ll be eating carp, and drinking the best Moravian wine, and maybe a bit of slivovice (something like a plum brandy; I don´t particularly like it, but when in Rome.....or rather, when in Moravia...)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone. Here are some random pictures from the past few weeks.

This is me with Ondřěj (Andrew). He´s another friend I met through Tomáš. Him and his girlfriend Ilča had a flat-warming party, and this is at the party.

This is Zuza and me at Ondřa and Ilča´s party. I think I said something funny.

Definitely more serious here.

This is my headmaster, Dr. Bartuška, lining up his bowling shot.

Filip, a colleague of mine (Geography teacher), in mid-shot.

Tomáš and I, behind a few "pivos".

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't know whether or not you'll get this before Christmas, but Grandpa and I wish you a very Merry Christmas. We will be thinking about you.
Love,
Gram

11:45 a.m.  
Blogger Ange said...

Glad to hear you are being taken care of this xmas!

Enjoy the holidays.

p.s. your girl is beatiful!

9:08 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's a cutie!

8:47 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey jeffaroo
Merry Christmas to ya, we definitely miss you here tonight, and we toasted to your absence, that was after Dad's usual speech! That's the third one you've missed since you've been away and you'd be lieing if you said you didn't miss them!
Anyways i just thought i'd wish ya happy holidays as mom didn't really let us all have a word with you personally...:( But we miss you very much and the pictures are great
Your gifty is on the way soon, and don't worry it is not an expirable the g/f is bea U tiful lol
had to say it.
Love you lots and miss you more

10:26 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zazuna is very pretty, how the heck did you get her, i guess she has a good sense of humour to be seen with you. hahaha, just joking broseph. Congrats, and say hi to her for me.

6:06 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jeff; I finally got Jess to write down where to find you!! Belated Happy Holidays! Just had dinner with all the girls = Cindy, Jan, Wilma, Laura Jean, Alli, Aunt Monie.
Glad to see you looking happy and enjoying your experiences over there. Definitely missed you for the big feast at Cindy & Dave's.

All is good here. Will have to catch up with you later. Uncle Joel dragged me to Blue Mtn for skiing last night - we're dead today. Haven't skiied in years! Body parts I didn't know I had are seriously aching. off to bed. Be good! Gwen

8:06 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey jeff thanks for the card ( i don't know what it means but w/e) me and jess both made the musical at school! and i won a singing contest! it was called central idol. i had to sing in front of the school and then ppl voted and stuff and i won! it was pretty cool!i was kinda nervous though, well, not at the beginning but when they started cheering i got really nervous! i sang 'If I ain't got you' by Alicia Keys, and apperantly i was good! lol well i miss you tons and tons and i can't wait to see you in august! and i hopeZuzana comes because she seems very nice and i'd love to meet her! any ways i know your busy so i'll get going and let you get back to ... teaching? ( or w/e your doing)

much love!!

laura xox

6:23 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home