Scenes From a Night's Dream
Hi.
This past weekend, I went on a very last-minute trip to Kutna Hora, about 2 hours away from Hradec Kralove by train. Tomas, Eva, and I made the trip on Sunday morning, and returned the same evening.
Kutna Hora (which means "Miner's Mountain") is a smaller town in the Czech Republic, but it's proximity to Prague, and some of it's interesting (and eerie) sights make it a bit of a tourist destination. We were lucky though, because the cold weather seemed to keep most people away.
We started the morning by visiting the "Bone Church" in Kutna Hora. The Bone Church is literally just that...it is a medieval church that today contains and displays the bones of over 30,000 Czechs who lost their lives in the Hussite uprisings some 500 years ago. There are some pictures at the end of this post, and YES, those ARE real human bones. The chandelier under which I stand in one of the photos contains at least one of every single type of bone in the human body (the chain is made out of jaws).
Then we walked up the hill to visit the beautiful St. Barbora's Cathedral. It was extremely cold on the inside, but the architecture is quite nice. The inside was being mostly restored, but services still go on inside under normal circumstances. We tried to go visit the old silver mines after that, but they are closed for the season, so maybe I'll return in the spring.
The Christmas holidays are quickly approaching, and this excites me. Tomas and Eva are going to Moravia to Eva's parents' house (where I went in October for that autumn festival). I have been invited by her parents to join them, so I will likely do that. Tomas and Eva have taken such good care of me and have really looked after me so far this year. They're good friends.
So, those who read regularly will know that I have had a decision to think about over the past month or so...whether or not to return next year. I have decided that I will come back here for at least another year. There are so many factors involved in such a decision, not the least of which being that I really miss my family and friends in Canada. But I have told my department head, Dasa, that I will return next year. For those family and friends in Canada, especially Steve, who will be absolutely devastated at this news, I can only say that I will miss you even more for another year. I will be back for sure in August for the August long weekend, and Chris and Lisa's wedding on the 11th. I don't know when I will come back to the Czech Republic in August. I have also invited Tomas and Eva to come back with me to visit and meet my friends and family, so they might come too. I have invited Zuza too, but we're still really not technically together, so we'll see how things are in July.
That is all for now. I wanted to show the bizarre photos from Kutna Hora, and to tell you all about my decision to return (I know this is the worst possible method to communicate such a thing, but it's the best I can do!).
Here are the photos!
Me, under the bone chandelier
The crest of bones
One of the bone pyramids
St. Barbora's Cathedral
Eva and me, overlooking Kutna Hora
Me and my good friends
This past weekend, I went on a very last-minute trip to Kutna Hora, about 2 hours away from Hradec Kralove by train. Tomas, Eva, and I made the trip on Sunday morning, and returned the same evening.
Kutna Hora (which means "Miner's Mountain") is a smaller town in the Czech Republic, but it's proximity to Prague, and some of it's interesting (and eerie) sights make it a bit of a tourist destination. We were lucky though, because the cold weather seemed to keep most people away.
We started the morning by visiting the "Bone Church" in Kutna Hora. The Bone Church is literally just that...it is a medieval church that today contains and displays the bones of over 30,000 Czechs who lost their lives in the Hussite uprisings some 500 years ago. There are some pictures at the end of this post, and YES, those ARE real human bones. The chandelier under which I stand in one of the photos contains at least one of every single type of bone in the human body (the chain is made out of jaws).
Then we walked up the hill to visit the beautiful St. Barbora's Cathedral. It was extremely cold on the inside, but the architecture is quite nice. The inside was being mostly restored, but services still go on inside under normal circumstances. We tried to go visit the old silver mines after that, but they are closed for the season, so maybe I'll return in the spring.
The Christmas holidays are quickly approaching, and this excites me. Tomas and Eva are going to Moravia to Eva's parents' house (where I went in October for that autumn festival). I have been invited by her parents to join them, so I will likely do that. Tomas and Eva have taken such good care of me and have really looked after me so far this year. They're good friends.
So, those who read regularly will know that I have had a decision to think about over the past month or so...whether or not to return next year. I have decided that I will come back here for at least another year. There are so many factors involved in such a decision, not the least of which being that I really miss my family and friends in Canada. But I have told my department head, Dasa, that I will return next year. For those family and friends in Canada, especially Steve, who will be absolutely devastated at this news, I can only say that I will miss you even more for another year. I will be back for sure in August for the August long weekend, and Chris and Lisa's wedding on the 11th. I don't know when I will come back to the Czech Republic in August. I have also invited Tomas and Eva to come back with me to visit and meet my friends and family, so they might come too. I have invited Zuza too, but we're still really not technically together, so we'll see how things are in July.
That is all for now. I wanted to show the bizarre photos from Kutna Hora, and to tell you all about my decision to return (I know this is the worst possible method to communicate such a thing, but it's the best I can do!).
Here are the photos!
Me, under the bone chandelier
The crest of bones
One of the bone pyramids
St. Barbora's Cathedral
Eva and me, overlooking Kutna Hora
Me and my good friends

8 Comments:
Hard to believe only 10 days until Christmas! I wanted to let you know that the Captain is single handedly keeping Barrie Hydro in business with his annual light display.......even more this year!! The pictures from your trip are kind of eerie looking but cool all the same.
Jen and I were out last night getting her Xmas gift. She had to be there to make sure they fit (ski boots). Trying to get the renos finished so I can get the decorations up this weekend. Time is running out. It is nice to know that you now have a phone so we can keep in touch but let us call you to keep your calls down. Make sure you take it to Evas so we can call you on Xmas day.
Love, Mom
Hey you,
Glad to hear that you are having such a great time that you will stay another year.
I know what it's like to be away from family and friends, and it's hard sometimes (I always want to go back to 4th yr at Queen's) but it's so great that all our friends are off doing what they really want to do. And now we have have friends all over the world that we can visit - and stay with them for free!
Now, if I could only get people to take me up on that and come and visit me in Uganda... I'm sure you feel the same way.
Miss ya.
Ange :-)
Hi; Can't believe that Christmas is nearly here. I know you will have a good time with your friends, but we will miss you. You are lucky to have some real good friends over there, but, are you sure you want them to meet your family. (just kidding) We will be glad to meet them. Sent your parcel last week, so hope it gets there in time. We have a bit of snow now, so will have a white Xmas for sure.
Love, Gram
Hi from your "not so wicked" stepmom! Really enjoy your updates and am finally brave enough to figure out how to leave a comment !? (I am enrolling in a course at the adult learning centre in the new year so that computers will no longer "scare" me!!!)
I agree with your mom's comment about the pictures.The experiences you are having and sights you are seeing are priceless and i'm so happy you are having these oppertunities. Somehow i'm not surprised that you will do another year and kinda figured the teaching thing would "level out"! Must say though that you like a challenge when it comes to picking girlfriends! All the best there too though and just remember if it's meant to be etc.
Am in the process of writing you a letter via "snail mail" (as they say) which will be a little newsier but know this, you are loved and greatly missed, thought of daily (hhmm, wonder why ???)and look forward to having you home for a little bit .... Love Wilma
Wow, that place looks amazing... might be cool to see while I'm there?
Glad that you've made a decision on staying, and that you like it enough to do so... Miss you like crazy though! Maybe the next year for the whole "Master's at Ottawa" thing...
Anyway, can't wait to see you, but still no update on the trip...
Later days! ~Jess
You're right: I'm devastated. And while we're on the subject of being devastated, how can someone who knows the subtlety and nuance of a phrase like "separate the wheat from the chaff" flagrantly abuse the spelling of the word "its"? Don't make me retract the "can't find a better man" sentiments of earlier this weekend! ;)
Yipes! You´re so right! Now I´m the one whose (see: "who´s") devastated ;)
the skulll thing is creepy!
Post a Comment
<< Home