Friday, January 20, 2006

Just a Job to Do

I'm back. And still busy.

This week was the final push for mid-term grades...all the mid year marks have to be in the computer on Monday. Luckily, I've been working hard, and I won't be too rushed on Monday to get them all submitted. Most of my students have evened out, but there are still a couple who are failing, and there might be some whose parents cause me trouble. But that's the life of a teacher. Jen, if it makes you feel any better, I admit that I would love to have the protection of a teacher's union right about now. My headmaster has been known to bully his teachers into changing their marks at the complaint of some of the parents (aka: paying customers). Unfortunately, my principles are too strong that I can't see myself lying for his motivations...a point that makes Zuza somewhat (understandably) angry with me, as it might mean my getting fired, and possibly sent back to Canada....I don't think it will ever come to that, because my headmaster seems to really like having me at his school (I'm a man, and I'm a native English speaker). Tomas tells me not to worry, but I'll not worry when I'm damn good and ready!

So this weekend, I'm off to a smaller town called Zdar to teach a weekend long intensive business English course. I've done one before earlier this year too, but I think this will be the last one. The pay just isn't good enough for me to give up my weekends away from Zuzana. At this point, I don't need the courses anyways...if I need the extra money later, I've left on good terms with the lady who runs the courses.

Also, I've sent my CV to a translation/editing service. Eva is friends with one of the directors, and I was invited to send in my resume. Apparently they were quite impressed, and they should be contacting me about doing some part-time English editing for them...good news I hope.

So, this is all that's happened this week...all in all, it was much better, but I still can't wait for that week off in February. Good news is that Mom and Larry have their flights booked to come here at the end of April/beginning of May. My sis, Jessica, has also got her flight arranged to visit in March....I haven't done that letter yet Jess, but I'll do it next week and fax it to your principal. Looking forward to both visits......

That's all for now. Here's a picture of me and my princess from the New Year's celebration at Tomas's cottage in the mountains.

Til next post...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me again; Just wanted to let you know I faithfully check your site, even if I am late this time. Our election was yesterday. Didn't go the way I wanted it to. I lost my vote as the Con. got in here, as well as the whole of Canada, even tho' it is a minority. Aileen Carroll lost her seat too. I think that Brown is an idiot, but who am I to say. Martin says he won't lead the party into another election, but we'll have to wait and see. Not much other news here, but at least we'll won't have to listen to the mud slinging every day now.
Keep up the good work.
Love, Gram

9:51 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey jeff ive decided to smuggle myself on to the next ship going to the Check. see you in roughly 12 days.

7:04 p.m.  
Blogger gulldogg said...

Hey Jord...I like your enthusiasm, but double-check your geography....the Czech Republic doesn´t have, and never has had, a coast. Have fun in France though.

1:41 a.m.  
Blogger gulldogg said...

P.S. I miss you buddy.

1:41 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey jeff, i am writing this from a internet cafe in France. I probably shouldve looked at a globe before deciding to make my voyage of questionable legality by boat. Anyway i am setting in motion my plan to aquire some income to complete my journey. See you in roughly 12-14 weeks.

7:41 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff.....just got back from the Power of Performance Awards in TO. HAd a great three days, stayed at the Four Seasons in Yorkville, got wined and dined to no end. Received my award fro SAles and Service which included a nice glass trophy, some cash but the biggest surprise of the event was that I won a trip for two to the Bahamas !! Don't have all the details yet but it is at the Atlantis Hotel on Paradise Island...might have to go on that trip before we come over to see you! Anyway,it was pretty exciting but exhausting at the same time. Glad to be home again. KAri is having her 18th B'day party tonight. I was going to get dressed up but too tired to think about it now. All is well here, just a bit of snow on the ground but it is cold. Let's hope for an early spring! Talk soon,
Love, Mom.

5:51 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That picture is too cute...! Letter is here... See you in 45 days!!!
Love ~Jess

11:48 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home