Small Talk
Hi,
It's been some time, so I should update this thing again. Even though there's not really much to talk about that's exciting. Well, one exciting thing is that I have a contact at a proofreading and editing service here in the Czech Republic. This company does translations and proofreading all over Europe, I think. Eva put me in touch with her friend who works there, and I emailed my CV to her a few weeks ago. I finally got an email from them, with an application form and proofreading "test." So I've actually just completed the test and forms, so I'll send it in and see how I do. Maybe I have found my foot in the door as an editor! We'll see, though it would be nice experience.
Today is a short day. The students get their report cards today, and then they all go to the cinema with the English department to watch the new Pride and Prejudice movie. I don't have to go today though, because I'm going to play hockey with some of the teachers and other students. Have to show these Czechs what the Canadians bring to the ice! I have a bet with most of my students that Canada will crush the Czech team in the Olympics (game: Feb. 21st). When Canada wins, I get to wear my Canada sweater for a week and rub it in their faces. IF, for some reason (for instance, all the Canadian players get injured and have to forfeit), the Czechs win, I have to wear a Czech jersey for a week (and I can't complain).
I went skiing this past weekend at Černa Horá (Black Mountain). It is in the Bohemian mountains, close to the highest point in the Czech Republic above sea level. For those who know me well, I haven't been skiing in about 8 years. But I was fine...it's like riding a bike, as they say. I was hitting jumps again on just the second run. No photos though, because I forgot to take my camera (I forgot to take my flask too).
So the excitment also continues to build for the various visitors I will be hosting in the coming months. My sister, Jessica, is confirmed for a week and a bit in March. My Mom and Larry are coming for about a week at the end of April/beginning of May. And now, the newest additions to the visitor rollcall, Bob and Ian should be visiting sometime during this spring too. So happiness is abound with these confirmations and possibilities.
Nothing much else, though that is definitely more than I thought I would be able to write about today.
Till next post...
It's been some time, so I should update this thing again. Even though there's not really much to talk about that's exciting. Well, one exciting thing is that I have a contact at a proofreading and editing service here in the Czech Republic. This company does translations and proofreading all over Europe, I think. Eva put me in touch with her friend who works there, and I emailed my CV to her a few weeks ago. I finally got an email from them, with an application form and proofreading "test." So I've actually just completed the test and forms, so I'll send it in and see how I do. Maybe I have found my foot in the door as an editor! We'll see, though it would be nice experience.
Today is a short day. The students get their report cards today, and then they all go to the cinema with the English department to watch the new Pride and Prejudice movie. I don't have to go today though, because I'm going to play hockey with some of the teachers and other students. Have to show these Czechs what the Canadians bring to the ice! I have a bet with most of my students that Canada will crush the Czech team in the Olympics (game: Feb. 21st). When Canada wins, I get to wear my Canada sweater for a week and rub it in their faces. IF, for some reason (for instance, all the Canadian players get injured and have to forfeit), the Czechs win, I have to wear a Czech jersey for a week (and I can't complain).
I went skiing this past weekend at Černa Horá (Black Mountain). It is in the Bohemian mountains, close to the highest point in the Czech Republic above sea level. For those who know me well, I haven't been skiing in about 8 years. But I was fine...it's like riding a bike, as they say. I was hitting jumps again on just the second run. No photos though, because I forgot to take my camera (I forgot to take my flask too).
So the excitment also continues to build for the various visitors I will be hosting in the coming months. My sister, Jessica, is confirmed for a week and a bit in March. My Mom and Larry are coming for about a week at the end of April/beginning of May. And now, the newest additions to the visitor rollcall, Bob and Ian should be visiting sometime during this spring too. So happiness is abound with these confirmations and possibilities.
Nothing much else, though that is definitely more than I thought I would be able to write about today.
Till next post...

4 Comments:
Gulley!
How's it going man? Nice to hear from you, and even nicer to read your blog and catch up with what you've been up to. I look forward to future updates!
Paul
ps-> Seeing as the Team Great Britain doesn't have an olympic hockey team I've converted all of my friends to the ways of Team Canada...purely in your honor ;)
Hey Gulldogg,
it sounds like your having a good time still. hope it stays that way! i miss you back at home! anymore suprise visits comging up? i dont expect any i still cna't beleive that no one knew that you were here! that was a good couple of days that i got to spend with you! Great seats at the game too! well im taking up too much of your time so im gunna go but i'll talk to yah again!
love your favorite youngest sister,
laura xox
P.S. Zuzana seems very nice! i hope i get to meet her!
hey jason, errr... jack..john??? ummmm, i havent seen you in so long i cant even remember youre name. lookin forward to hangin out at the gulleyfest bro. im gonna mail you a copy of our bands first DVD, it includes songs interviews, gag reel, still gallery, and extra french movies i made in grade 9. its pretty sweet.
taker easy
PS. Hello Zuzan, my name is jordan, im the cooler Gulley brother:)
P.S.S is it Zuzan or Zuzana?
Hi;
Nice to hear from you again. Its terrible weather here yesterday and today. I was in Hamilton yesterday and it took me 4 hours to get home. Travelling at 20 -30 km most of the way. the slowest I've driven since I used to drive Grandpa's tractor (and that was only because I couldn't get it out of 1st gear)
We're both fine. Grandpa goes on Feb. 20th to get catarac off his right eye and then probably the left one after that.
Seen your mom last week. We dropped in at her office on our way home from Orillia.
Nothing new here. Keep the blogs coming as I like to know how you're doing.
Love, Gram
Post a Comment
<< Home