Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Uncertain Weather

Hey everyone,

So another week, and not much else. It snowed again here over the past few days (I guess the groundhog saw his shadow), but it´s much milder again today. Speaking of groundhog day, most of the students here loved learning about it, and talking about Canadian and American superstitions and comparing them to Czech ones. They were surprised that we think it´s bad luck to open umbrellas inside...they do it all the time.

And the Olympics are fast approaching...this Friday I think they start, but everyone knows that MY olympics begin on the 15th, when the Canadian Hockey team has their first game. I have a small bet going with most of the students at school: when Canada wins, I´m allowed to wear my Canada sweater for a week and they can´t complain. If, by some miracle, the Czech team wins, I told them they could bring in a Czech jersey and I would gladly wear THAT for a week...they can even have their photo taken with me if they want...and I´ll even smile. That´s how confident I am, but I guess you can´t really call it a "bet" when you just know your team is going to win.

I´ve started taking one on one French lessons with a native Frenchman who lives in Hradec. I have my lesson tonight. He´s the boyfriend of a colleague at my school, and it´s helping me a lot so far. You´re probably wondering why I´m taking French lessons when I still don´t have a new Czech teacher? Well, I live here surrounded by the Czech language, so I figure I can teach myself well enough from the book, and supplement that with free language lessons everyday, in the store, at school, on the street, in the bus....it´s working quite well, I think. At least, my students are impressed with my progress.

After next week, I have another week of holidays, which will be great, but that means you won´t hear from me again for awhile. Then when I get back, it will almost be March, which means that Jessica will be visiting soon. Bob has all but confirmed his visit to Europe, and his stay in the Czech Republic will perfectly coincide with my long weekend of Easter holidays....rock on! Then Mom and Larry come at the end of April, early May...so I have quite a few visitors on the way.

For now, no exciting news to report, but there may be some on the way in the coming weeks (jobwise, not girlwise--stop worrying Mom).

Till next post...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Jeff..........winter has finally hit us! We have been shovelling almost non-stop since last weekend! The ski hills are joyous as it was looking like a pretty lousy winter for them. Everyone is fine.....dad and I are starting to plan our trip. We are now thinking we might take the train from Scotland and maybe stopping in Germany to see Katja (depending on where she is now. We are going to get some books at Chapters to assist with our travel plans and should have a better idea by this time next month. Pretty exciting though! Hope all is well with you. Did Bob phone you last week?? He called looking for your number and I thought from your comments that he had been able to reach you about his trip. Who knows, we may all be there at the same time!! Gotta run...take care.........Love, Mom.

8:56 a.m.  
Blogger gulldogg said...

Yeah, Bob got in touch with me. Woke me up too! Umm....I think he´ll just be on his way out when you guys arrive, and I don´t know what part of Europe he´ll be in at that time. But you never know, there might be some overlap.

Strange that winter just hit there...it´s just on its way out over here.

1:19 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

17 days until take off and 27 days until I see you!!! Luv, Jess

10:30 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home