Wednesday, November 16, 2005

White Mountain(s)

Hey everyone...sorry for lack of posting lately. I've been ultimately over-worked and under-slept lately. Things are hectic here because it's mid-term and I have to give my students a big test every mid-term, which I just found out recently.

Also, I will be away all next week, so I thought this would be a good time to let you all know so that you don't start worrying about me being dead or something. I'm going off to the Bohemian mountains with school. The 16 year olds all have this big week of English SUPER LEARNING, and I of course go as one of two native speakers at this school (strangely enough, Alex the Scot is not going). Anyways, Tomas will be there as well as my department head Dasa, and Anzik, the Armenian lady. It's still work for me to do, because we have to still teach lessons, but it's much more relaxed and in the scenery of the mountains. I've recently acquired an acoustic guitar, so I'll of course take that and maybe do some Beatles songs with the kids.

School's going alright, I guess. Some days are definitely harder than others, but I'm still learning and adjusting and doing my best to not let the kids take advantage of the new Canadian.

I've officially been offered a contract extension by my headmaster to teach here again next year. He also said that if I do come back next year then I would get a new laptop computer to help with my planning and test-writing. So I have some thinking to do. Some days I like teaching, but some days I really hate it too. Most days I love it here, but other days I miss being in Canada. I guess I'll know what to do when the time comes.

Other developments in my life that might affect this decision are that I've recently begun "sort of" dating a girl I met through Tomas and Eva. Her name is Zuzka. I say "sort of" dating because she actually "sort of" already has a boyfriend in Germany, but she's probably leaving him because he lives far enough away already, and he's likely moving away from Europe soon too. So nothing is serious yet by any means, but we've been out a few times and I like her a lot. She knows how I feel, and she seems to feel the same about me, so we'll see, this may end up influencing my decision to stay or leave....then again, maybe it won't.

So then...I must go now. I'm on holidays for the next two days, then it's the weekend, then off to the mountains for a week, and I'm busy teaching all next weekend too in Zdar, at an intense business English weekend-long seminar. So I'm hectic and frantic right now, but that won't stop me from enjoying some delicious delicious beer tonight (after my Czech lesson of course--speaking of which, my Czech is coming along smashingly, and I'll have lots of spare time at night in the mountains to keep learning it!)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At last, an update! Been wondering why we haven't heard from you lately ! "Sort of" thought it might be another distraction! Sounds like a nice trip to the mountains and certainly a change. It appears there are a few perks to the job if they feel you are worthy of it and it sounds like they appreciate the job you are doing so, time will tell! There is some paper work that need to be attended to?? Have a great trip to mountains.......talk soon.

Love , Mom

10:38 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Hello; I was beginning to think you had forgotten to update this and keep us tuned in to your activites. Sounds like a great trip for next week, if you're young enough to enjoy it. Too much for this old lady. Been wet and chilly and terribly windy here the last week or so, at least no snow, yet.
Have a good trip next week and take lots of pictures.
Love, Gramma

5:38 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jefffffffffff Gullllllley!
I was shocked enough that you would think about staying so far away from us for ANOTHER YEAR! I went out for dinner last night with Steve-o, James, Ginny and Sarah Fleming, and we all decided that you are sorely missed. Not to mention that my boyfriend loves you more than he could ever love me :)

On a nicer note - I'm glad that things are going so well. Take good care of that non-girlfriend of yours and I'll talk to you soon!

- Bri

9:43 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home