Saturday, October 22, 2005

Across the River

Hey Readers,

Well, today I finally did what I came here to do....I'm in Prague (Praha, in Czech). I just got in a few hours ago, and I had no trouble finding my hostel from the bus station--I didn't even have to look at my map. I got a REALLY good deal on this hostel, which is just off of Wenceslas Square (yes, the same "Good King Wenceslas" from the Christmas carol). Wenceslas Square is basically in the heart of the city.

First impresssions? Well, before I'd been here a half an hour, I was already approached by a couple of gypsies. No matter how many times you tell them "Nerozumim" ("I don't understand"), or "Nemluvim Cesky" ("I don't speak Czech"), they still try to sell you stuff. You literally have to just walk away, as rude as it is...you have to pretend they're not there. Also, there are MANY tourists here...even at the downswing of tourist season. I understand now why so many of my students say they hate tourists. This is their capital city, and it is literally crawling with tourists from every walk of Europe (and I've definitely already heard some American accents). On the other hand, I myself am a tourist, so I can't really comment. I should most probably have no trouble meeting other English speaking people here in Prague, but that's not what I came all the way over here to do is it?

So, I will visit the city for a few days until Wednesday, when I leave. I have to go back to Hradec on Wednesday to go into my school and FINALLY clean up the mess of a desk that has become mine. Oh yeah...the Headmaster has called all the staff in for a meeting on Friday too, so I have to go to that (Yipee!). I won't understand a word, but he's insisted that me and Alex (the other "only" English speaker, from Scotland) have to go to.

I don't know how much access to the Internet I will have while I am here, but if I can find a cheaper Internet cafe than this one, I will do one more update from Prague. Oh yeah, what great timimg...On Monday night, Phil Collins is playing in Prague at the main Arena, so I am definitely there!

Well, off to see more of the city!!

Till next post...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Man, it's been so crazy here I've missed like 4 posts in a row! Your apartment looks great (however, I did notice all the unpacked boxes in the background of the picture of your desk and laugh quietly to myself). I hope you enjoyed Prague (and the concert) and I can't wait to be seeing it all myself! I wrote an essay for H.C. Maynard Scholarship for High School latin students traveling abroad. It's worth $2000 if I win! I'll know by the middle of Novemeber, so... Anyway, nice to see some faces to all the names as well!
Miss you lots,
Luv Jesser

7:51 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the time you get this you will have been to the concert and perhaps even back to your apartment. Were you on a week off at school or something that you were able to travel to Prague??I will be looking forward to those pictures! Margaret and Lindsay due back today...they were in Scotland for Lindsay and John's wedding on the weekend. Fall is definitely here.....had frost one night last week. How is it there?? Pretty much the same climate or colder??Everybody is well here........the girls went to Michigan last weekend for a little shopping with Aunt Janet and came home with a Hallowe'en costume for the dog!!I'm sure there will be pictures to follow....... Gotta run.....talk soon...........

12:39 p.m.  
Blogger gulldogg said...

Yes Mom, technically the week is off, but because of the staff meeting on Friday it really isn't. Oh well, the break is nice anyways, and I finally got to see Prague...I'll be back for sure during winter break.

By the way...Phil Collins was cancelled, well, postponed, because he got sick. I did meet his bass player though today, wandering through Old Prague...it was cool....nice guy.

5:53 p.m.  
Blogger Irish Tim said...

Hey Gully

Irish Tim here.......wasn't impressed with your post knocking the British Premiership....but seeing as you are a cool guy I can forgive....sounds like you are having fun.....if you stop by Ireland......give me a call.

8:42 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home