Thursday, June 15, 2006

Behind the Lines

Okay, so there's nothing much to write about lately, so I thought I'd give you all an idea of just how lonely and bored a guy can get when he's in a country where he doesn't know the language and he can count the number of callable friends he has on his two hands. I present to you:

THE LIST OF BOOKS THAT I'VE READ WHILE IN THE CZECH REPUBLIC
(in no particular order)

  1. Don Quixote - Cervantes
  2. Northern Lights - Philip Pullman (His Dark Materials Trilogy, Book 1)
  3. The Subtle Knife - Philip Pullman (HDM Trilogy, Book 2)
  4. The Amber Spyglass - Philip Pullman (HDM Trilogy, Book 3)
  5. The Gambler - Fyodor Dostoevsky
  6. How to Be a Canadian (even if you already are one) - Will and Ian Ferguson
  7. The Cider House Rules - John Irving
  8. The World According to Garp - John Irving
  9. Life of Pi - Yann Martell (my favourite book ever by a Canadian writer)
  10. East of Eden - John Steinbeck (I read this one in three days when I was sick--great book!)
  11. Lord Jim - Josef Conrad (only the first half--it was so bad that I had to quit)
  12. Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  13. Fifth Business - Robertson Davies (Deptford Trilogy, Book 1)
  14. The Manticore - Robertson Davies (Deptford Trilogy, Book 2)
  15. World of Wonders - Robertson Davies (Deptford Trilogy, Book 3)
  16. The Outline of History, Volume I - H. G. Wells (Volume II, here I come!)
  17. The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
  18. Angels and Demons - Dan Brown
  19. The Va Dinci Cod - A. R. R. R. Roberts (it's a parody. I bought it because it looked funny. It wasn't)
  20. I Served the King of England - Bohumil Hrabal (Czech writer)
  21. Closely Observed Trains - Bohumil Hrabal
  22. Immortality - Milan Kundera (Czech writer)
  23. The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera
  24. Identity - Milan Kundera
  25. The Book of Laughter and Forgetting - Milan Kundera
  26. Love All the People - Bill Hicks (he's a now deceased American comedian)
  27. Stupid White Men - Michael Moore
  28. Czechs in a Nutshell - ?? (a small introduction to Czech life and culture)
  29. The Spirit of Prague - Ivan Klima (Czech writer. This is a collection of his essays)
  30. May - Karel Hynek Macha (Czech writer. This is the most famous Czech poem from the Romantic Era)
  31. Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy
  32. The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
  33. A Farewell to Arms - Ernest Hemingway
  34. Letters to Olga - Vaclav Havel (Czech writer, and former President. These are his letters to his wife written from prison during communism)
  35. Beethoven's Hair - Russell Martin (in progress)

There is no rhyme or reason to these books. There's some literary classics, some schlock, some humour, some history, some politics, etc. When you live in a foreign country, you'll read just about anything in your native language that you can get your mitts on. However, it's been a great benefit to me to be in the Czech Republic and to have discovered such a vast and rich literary tradition. My favourite of these newly discovered writers is Hrabal, but all of them are good in their own way. Kundera is probably the most famous Czech writer worldwide (aside from Franz Kafka, but he wrote in German) and I think he's easy to find in bookstores in Canada too. For those who are interested in reading any Kundera, I suggest you start with Immortality -- it was my favourite of his books that I read.

My god I belong in publishing.

10 Comments:

Blogger Lainy said...

yep, you absolutely belong in publishing ;) I've read maybe three or four books in your list and some more I'm going to read anyway. Still reading your Deptford Trilogy <3 ( I think you will never see this book again :P )

11:17 a.m.  
Blogger Gavin27 said...

wow, impressive gull-dawg.

my list isn't nearly that impressive, and its only for the calendar year 2006...thats about 5 books as of right now...

but looks like you're quite the intellectual based on those...good job deceiving all those who don't know the truth...

Cheers,

Gav

3:26 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh The Alchemist. I really dig that one.

12:16 a.m.  
Blogger Ange said...

I agree totally on the Alchemist. James gave it to me a few years ago, and i've been recommending it to everybody and anybody ever since. (thx James)

Gulley - what did you think of Love in the Time of Cholera? It's one of my favs also.

I recently read A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry - and that's the new book i'm passing around to others. I can't believe I waited so long to read it - it's a definite MUST read.

I am embarrassed to admit it, but aside from A Fine Balance I've been reading stupid girl books lately. I have a bookshelf full of great political books, African history, and good general thinking books - but after a long day at work here, all I need is a complete no brainer book before bed. So, the most recent book I read is called "Handbags and Gladbags". Ha ha...way to be intellectual eh?! Btw, it was crap.

3:23 a.m.  
Blogger gulldogg said...

Hey Ange/James: I loved the Alchemist. Great story, great writing.

Ange: Kev Rodrigues suggested A Fine Balance to me years ago, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I didn't like Love in the Time of Cholera. Boring ass story, but Marquez is a terrific writer. Too bad about the plot.

5:31 a.m.  
Blogger Stephen Johns said...

That's some impressive work there, Gulley--but the question is, are you master of your domain?

Steve-o

11:55 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm currently about one quarter of the way into "Immortality". I am enjoying it, but quite honestly, I'm not sure what it's about yet. I lent my English/Writer's Craft teacher some of the other Czech books that I brought home with me. She just finished reading "Identity". We were talking about it and she said: "It's a good thing you like post-modernism... there are a few things that really disturbed me. But it was really good!" I cna't wait to read it! LOL HEY! It's 12:08 am on June 18... Less than a month until you're home! Let's see how many mroe books you can add to that list before then! ;)
Love, ~Jess

12:12 a.m.  
Blogger Tgus said...

Gulley/the rest of you;
Agreed on the Alchemist, but have you read 11 minutes by the same author? Unbelievable, but don't read it in public cause some parts are downright pornographic (mostly this message is aimed at the guys).

Ange, I also just read A Fine Balance, and also THe God of Small THings by Ahrundhati Roy..I've been really into the Indian fiction lately. And I finally picked up the Corrections.....

*Talia leaves to create Gulley-inspired blog entry*

3:23 a.m.  
Blogger Lainy said...

hey, did you notice that it's almost whole one year you started to write this blog? ;) I hope you will keep on keeping on :P

11:19 a.m.  
Blogger Ty and Amanda said...

Happy Blog-a-versary Gulley! It was exactly one year ago that you commenced your bloggage - Japan time (UTC/GMT + 9 hours).

Happy Birthday to Blog.

Can't wait to see you in August.

Hey, post those pics with the British chicks already. Even I'm curious. This has to be seen to be believed. Jokes, G.

Amanda

11:27 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home