Monday, May 22, 2006

We Do What We're Told

I'm back again, after a terrific week in the mountains with about the best group of students you could imagine. It was more like hanging out with a bunch of friends. The students were fantastically mature. Even though I know there was some drinking and marijuana smoking that went on behind our backs, it never got out of hand and they were always up and at classes on time. I also now know that at least two of my students also read this blog regularly, probably more too, though how they knew about it or found it is waaaaay beyond my knowing ;) So for those that do read (Lenka, Nikola, any others??) and were in the mountains, good on ya! You gave me the best week of teaching I've had since I've been here.

In fact, since Lenicka and Nikolka refuse to tell me how they found my website, I'm posting their picture....this is for you girls!

Alice (who doesn't want to be identified), Nikola, and Lenka.

Jordan, I told the girls that you're their age and now they all want to visit Canada. They know they're welcome to visit whenever they want, but they're sleeping on the floor! :P

So the mountains were terrific. And this weekend terrible. I've never seen a worse Team Canada than the one that was playing in this year's championship. I mean honestly, when you're hinging your entire country's hopes of a medal on the shoulders of Sidney Crosby and Patrice Bergeron (who were both excellent by the way), you're going to fall short. We had a very weak team. Honourable mention goes to Mike Comrie, because although the production wasn't there, he at least was playing like he looked like he wanted to win. Poor poor Marc Denis. Does anybody know where Canada's defence was this year? I think they scattered pieces of it all over the Atlantic on the way over to Latvia. I guess I could probably make the team next year and play defence -- I know how to kick pucks into my own net too!! Or, or...or pass them directly to the Swedish defender who is skating in from the blueline. Just put me in coach, I'm ready to play! About the stupidest thing the Swedes could've done was to awaken a sleeping giant, which they almost did when they cross-checked Crosby in the neck/head. But alas, it was too little too late for Saturday night. I still would've liked to see some effort yesterday though, instead of Team Canada rolling over and allowing the Finns to spank our country's ass repeatedly. Humiliating. Good on the Swedes though, because they played a hell of a tournament. They impressed, and depressed, quite a few of my Czech friends last night. Solid the whole way through.

Okay enough about hockey. Back to school this week, and the schedule is thrown right off because the final years are doing their final exams. I don't have any of the final years for a class, so they don't want/need me to help with the testing. I also don't have much teaching this week, but I have to do thematic plans which were due in September. And aside from that I think I get to enjoy some sunshine, and practice some guitar. Hey Jord, I've basically got the chords and structure to That's the Way down, and Over the Hills and Far Away is almost ready too....you practicing?

That's all for now. Till next post...

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, I hate to write the very first comment anywhere but if I'm here why not. Jefficek, I told you how I found your blog. This photo is the worst photo you could choose. I don't know if it is because of people on the photo or because of the person who made it, though :D Marihuana? Geez, I'm always in a wrong place :/ :D btw: I've got some CDs for you as I promised...see ya in school :P

1:34 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is now evident that while you started your blog to keep family and friends up to date on your travels, you are now going to have to keep it going so your new friends and former students can keep up with your exploits!!
Had a major cold 24th of May weekend with reports of snow in some parts of Barrie.........only in Canada!! Did manage to golf on Friday and Saturday, the latter in gale force winds. Today, being Monday, the sun is shining and promises to give us a much nicer week - mid twenties they say, so we'll take it!!
HArd to believe the school year is almost over but it has gone by fairly quickly! See you soon.

Love, Mom

9:02 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff, do you think, here are only 2 people(Niki and Leni), visiting your blog?;-) You can guess:-)

2:22 p.m.  
Blogger gulldogg said...

Oh come on Pajak! Don't be shy! My guess is either Pavel, Pavla, or Pavlina, though which one is anyone's guess.

1:55 a.m.  
Blogger gulldogg said...

Klimesova, isn't it? ;)

1:56 a.m.  
Blogger gulldogg said...

Kholova!

3:49 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There“s more than 5 or 6 people, Jeff :)

4:45 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff;
Greetings from Canada, where it is supposed to be Spring. Still cool, but had sunshine today. Tom was here for a few days. We took him back to T.O. today. He leaves Friday night for Calgary, and I wish you could see his packing??? efforts. He is travelling light, but still has a lot of stuff he is taking. Oh well, its his problem, not mine. It won't be long now until we see you and really lookig forward to it.
All our love,
Gramma

8:13 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home