Saturday, April 08, 2006

Am I Very Wrong?

One of the most beautiful things about living in Europe, particularly in the Czech Republic, is that over-the-top political correctness just doesn´t exist. In Canada, I used to always watch what I said, and how I said it, lest I accidentally offend someone. It made me, I think, a very stale and uninteresting person; a lot to say, but too afraid to say it.

A lot of this aspect of my character was enhanced and developed at the Centre for Staleness (aka: Queen´s University). Now, I must admit, even though I am two years removed from the CFS, I still sometimes click on and read the online student newspaper (www.queensjournal.com). My friend Irish Tim left a comment that alluded to a letter to the editor I wrote. First, you can read the letter I was responding to here:

  • Sports Headline Needlessly Sexist


  • Ok, now here is the letter I responded with:

  • Letter Wrongly Links Sexism to Headline


  • Please read them, and tell me what you think, either on the comment board here, or by a private email if you´re more comfortable (jeffgulley@hotmail.com).

    Am I very wrong?

    2 Comments:

    Blogger Stephen Johns said...

    Don't worry, Gulley--I read it, too. ;)

    As for the CFS, I don't think it's a problem with Queen's so much as it's a problem with higher education in general. But in many ways we're lucky: some of what goes on at American universities would make Queen's seem like a bastion of open-mindedness. Of course, this is coming from the guy who was once referred to as a heterosexist by his boss; maybe I'm simply too repressed to see clearly on this issue.

    8:56 a.m.  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hey Jeff, you didn´t tell us about your blog...how come? :)

    3:52 p.m.  

    Post a Comment

    << Home