Dead? No, but I'm gonna kill someone!
Hey, no I haven't died, but I've had absolutely nothing but problems since I was somehow 'persuaded' by Blogger.com to upgrade my blog account out of the old stinky beta version to the new and improved Blogger.com v.2.0. Apparently, 'new and improved' can also be interpreted as 'new and shitty'. Who would have known about this abrupt change in the English language? Certainly not me, but since I'm an English language educator I'd better adapt accordingly.
Then again, I pretty much suck at computers, so the fault is likely mine. Let's hope today's goes through.
So, meet Pavel Janicek. He's a student of mine, and also a MENSA card holder. Smart feller. Sorry ladies, he's already taken.

What else? This past Saturday we had an awesome 'Greek' night at Ondra and Ilca's place. I made the Greek salad, which was excellent except for the absolute worst olives I've ever tasted. Ilca cooked the souvlaki, and Eva provided the Metaxa. Plus some beer, wine, ouzo, and later, absinthe (the real stuff). No green fairy, but that's probably a good thing too.
Last week, Hradec Králové received its first 'snowstorm' of the year. It started Tuesday night with a light menace of ice crystalish droplets sinking down from the sky; by the time I awoke on Wednesday, the beautiful green and brown ground I've come to love this winter had been usurped by Jack Frost and his minions of evil snow foot soldiers. I finally had to break out my three-year-old boots (still covered in paint from helping paint Tomas and Eva's flat). This is war Frost, this is war!
I also received an email last week from my good friend from Barrie, Liam Montgomery. I think it's the first time I've ever seen the word 'rapscallion' written in an email. I think it was Ian's idea, because that's such an Ian kind of word, but it made me laugh nonetheless. Nope, I've been assured by Liam that it was all his.
I got a bunch of new furniture too. Kathy left, and since she lived right across the hall from me, she left me a ton of furniture (at a very good price). I now have: a new bed that can fold up into a couch; a new fridge; a white cupboard; another bookshelf; a vaccuum cleaner; a washing machine (I just used to use it in her apartment); an iron and ironing board; two lamps; and a bunch of other random stuff, like dishes. Here's a photo from Kathy's last day -- she's the second girl on the left. (these are all people I work with).

So I hope this keeps everyone happy for a little while at least.
Till next post...
Then again, I pretty much suck at computers, so the fault is likely mine. Let's hope today's goes through.
So, meet Pavel Janicek. He's a student of mine, and also a MENSA card holder. Smart feller. Sorry ladies, he's already taken.
What else? This past Saturday we had an awesome 'Greek' night at Ondra and Ilca's place. I made the Greek salad, which was excellent except for the absolute worst olives I've ever tasted. Ilca cooked the souvlaki, and Eva provided the Metaxa. Plus some beer, wine, ouzo, and later, absinthe (the real stuff). No green fairy, but that's probably a good thing too.
Last week, Hradec Králové received its first 'snowstorm' of the year. It started Tuesday night with a light menace of ice crystalish droplets sinking down from the sky; by the time I awoke on Wednesday, the beautiful green and brown ground I've come to love this winter had been usurped by Jack Frost and his minions of evil snow foot soldiers. I finally had to break out my three-year-old boots (still covered in paint from helping paint Tomas and Eva's flat). This is war Frost, this is war!
I also received an email last week from my good friend from Barrie, Liam Montgomery. I think it's the first time I've ever seen the word 'rapscallion' written in an email. I think it was Ian's idea, because that's such an Ian kind of word, but it made me laugh nonetheless. Nope, I've been assured by Liam that it was all his.
I got a bunch of new furniture too. Kathy left, and since she lived right across the hall from me, she left me a ton of furniture (at a very good price). I now have: a new bed that can fold up into a couch; a new fridge; a white cupboard; another bookshelf; a vaccuum cleaner; a washing machine (I just used to use it in her apartment); an iron and ironing board; two lamps; and a bunch of other random stuff, like dishes. Here's a photo from Kathy's last day -- she's the second girl on the left. (these are all people I work with).
So I hope this keeps everyone happy for a little while at least.
Till next post...

8 Comments:
Hi:
glad you're back. I've missed your updates, but appreciated the e-mail last week. We've had a bit of snow every day for the last week, even freezing rain on Saturday. Hope those d--- skiers are happy.
Not much new here, same old, same old.
Talk to yu soon
Love, Gram
so great to hear from you! did i tell you i have a blog as well? i am not sure... it is sarahwalkingthestreets.blogspot.com.
the international teaching fair is coming up in two weeks. it is going to be crazzzy. no schools from czech coming, but one from poland, germany etc. i will keep you posted on where i end up!
love fleems.
ah old man winter has finally come here in Ontario as well. I hear Barrie is flirting again with the sub -30 ish range...we've been down as far as -35'C with windchill. surprisingly I was happy to have it arrive as I worried we had totally lost winter and were going to screw the weather system even further outta whack.
Yay! Another post! My last comment was not in vain! Glad things are going well, and that you now have your very own washing machine (does this one empty into the tub?). Hehe. Miss you tonnes and love you more! Mwah!
~Jessica
No Jess, it empties into the bathroom sink.
HAHA!
jeff, i hate to tell you but your greek night missed the most important component of greek cuisine... The Bahklava (soelling??) how i miss that treat!
xoxo
no jeff this wont keep me happy. not even for a little while.
Post a Comment
<< Home