Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Nikola měla svátek!!

This is belated. I meant to post it yesterday, but either I forgot to, or I was too busy teaching, I can't remember. Anyway, yesterday (November 20th) was my dear Nikola's name day. Every Czech name has a day in the year in which you are supposed to celebrate the people you know whose name is on that day. So, "štast´ný svátek Nikolko." And here's a good story about her too: just the other day I was eating a sandwich, and a little piece of bread fell off from my crust onto the plate, and Niky laughed like it was one of the funniest things she had ever seen. How can you not love her?




By the way, my name day (Bohumil) is October 3rd (your birthday Ty!). If you want to know how my Czech name becomes "Bohumil", follow closely:
  • my name is "Jeffrey"
  • from the Olde English "Geoffrey"
  • which itself comes from the German "Gottfried"
  • "Gottfried" means literally in German "friend of God"
  • "friend of God," in Czech, is translated as...
  • "Bohumil" (or more literally, "he knew God" -- I think)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dekuji Bohoušku:p And that doughnut story was the best one babe:)

3:21 p.m.  
Blogger gulldogg said...

Oh I'll tell the doughnut story some other time :)

2:52 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well then november 20th must be the most beautiful day of the year;D Hey Niki hows it goin.

3:21 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually get a whole month and a half for my name here ;P Jeff's only gets like ... an hour and a bit:D

3:23 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahah i love how jord is goin for brownie points! aha Jeff, you better watch your brother comin from left field there!
so i never got to comment on your pictures from france but they look awesome and i hop you had the experience of a lifetime there!
Good news here, Tragically Hip are comin to Barrie for, not one but TWO, shows!!! and im working them both which means sweet city!
cant wait to see you over the holidays! talk to ya soon, ps thanks for the help with my cartoon
pps... thanks for the free parking
haha later love ya

9:27 p.m.  
Blogger gulldogg said...

Nope Jord, that day is reserved for January 6th. And you can just stay there in left field buster :P

Kari: no probs with the cartoon. How did it work out? And the Hip are yesterday's news. Their last good album was Phantom Power (1998, I think). Enjoy though :-)

11:30 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jordo!:) I am fine, you? The most beautiful day will be in January 6th.. I am planning huge party so you´re welcome:p Btw: one point for you:D hope i ll meet you guys, someday:)

12:05 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home