Second Home By The Sea
Okay, so that is a very misleading post title, since the Czech Republic has zero coastline altogether. But I needed to find a way to use that song title, and it is my second home in the Czech Republic, and my flat is close to the river, which is kind of like a sea. (okay, so it´s the worst stretch ever...work with me here people!).
Anyway, I´m working on getting settled back in Hradec and into my new apartment. The thing was almost totally empty and very dirty when I arrived on Tuesday. Now it´s partially empty, and a bit less dirty. I took today as a stocking/cleaning/organizing day. I´m taking break right now to update this from my favourite Internet Cafe here, Cafe Imagine (a bit of a John Lennon-themed cafe). Niky is coming into town this evening to help me clean up too, so four hands are better than two.
I spent the morning and early afternoon acquiring new things: I went out and bought a bookshelf, a new CD player, bath towels, an alarm clock, a frying pan, cutting board, knife set, and other assorted kitchen things. I still need a little table for the bathroom, a microwave (how will I live without microwave popcorn?), a toaster, a kettle, pots, a desk, and groceries. I had to defrost the fridge the other day, because I only had about one square inch of space in the heavily overfrosted freezer. Oh yeah, I still need a bed and bedsheets....I´m sleeping in a sleeping bag on a mattress on the floor for now. But Tomas might have a bed and a wardrobe I can use, and Ondra said that he has a small desk that I can put in the apartment. I use the washing machine in Kate´s apartment across the hall, and I´ve arranged to buy her vaccuum cleaner when she leaves in February, and I can use it in the meantime. Oh yeah, Alex very kindly gave me his old pub bike, (well, he traded me for future considerations, aka: beer), so now I´m the proud owner of a purple street flyer that looks like it´s from the 60´s....but I love her, her name is Violet :)
But I love my new apartment...I can see Niky´s mom´s hair salon from my balcony--we had to laugh when we saw her waving at us the other day when we were on the balcony. She told me (through Niky´s translation) that she´ll be watching with her binoculars :) Niky and I went with her mom, her sister Andrea, and Andrea´s boyfriend Tomas, to an outdoor concert yesterday. There were many performers, but the main attraction was Hanka Zagorova...Niky´s mom LOVES Hanka Zagorova...she is an old performer left over from the communist era (just like Karel Gott). It certainly wasn´t my cup of tea, but Irena was enjoying herself (I think Niky said she saw her cry when Hanka came out). But I´m never bored when I´m with my lovely lady, and I like her family a lot too. It doesn´t stop me from missing my own when I´m gone (and you all know that I do), but the company is nice, and when I improve my Czech (enter: the desk) I will be able to communicate better with them.
Well, I had better get off this thing and finish my beer (ever have a beer in an Internet cafe?? I have). I have lots of cleaning ahead tonight, and music to listen to on my new Panasonic.
Till next post...
Anyway, I´m working on getting settled back in Hradec and into my new apartment. The thing was almost totally empty and very dirty when I arrived on Tuesday. Now it´s partially empty, and a bit less dirty. I took today as a stocking/cleaning/organizing day. I´m taking break right now to update this from my favourite Internet Cafe here, Cafe Imagine (a bit of a John Lennon-themed cafe). Niky is coming into town this evening to help me clean up too, so four hands are better than two.
I spent the morning and early afternoon acquiring new things: I went out and bought a bookshelf, a new CD player, bath towels, an alarm clock, a frying pan, cutting board, knife set, and other assorted kitchen things. I still need a little table for the bathroom, a microwave (how will I live without microwave popcorn?), a toaster, a kettle, pots, a desk, and groceries. I had to defrost the fridge the other day, because I only had about one square inch of space in the heavily overfrosted freezer. Oh yeah, I still need a bed and bedsheets....I´m sleeping in a sleeping bag on a mattress on the floor for now. But Tomas might have a bed and a wardrobe I can use, and Ondra said that he has a small desk that I can put in the apartment. I use the washing machine in Kate´s apartment across the hall, and I´ve arranged to buy her vaccuum cleaner when she leaves in February, and I can use it in the meantime. Oh yeah, Alex very kindly gave me his old pub bike, (well, he traded me for future considerations, aka: beer), so now I´m the proud owner of a purple street flyer that looks like it´s from the 60´s....but I love her, her name is Violet :)
But I love my new apartment...I can see Niky´s mom´s hair salon from my balcony--we had to laugh when we saw her waving at us the other day when we were on the balcony. She told me (through Niky´s translation) that she´ll be watching with her binoculars :) Niky and I went with her mom, her sister Andrea, and Andrea´s boyfriend Tomas, to an outdoor concert yesterday. There were many performers, but the main attraction was Hanka Zagorova...Niky´s mom LOVES Hanka Zagorova...she is an old performer left over from the communist era (just like Karel Gott). It certainly wasn´t my cup of tea, but Irena was enjoying herself (I think Niky said she saw her cry when Hanka came out). But I´m never bored when I´m with my lovely lady, and I like her family a lot too. It doesn´t stop me from missing my own when I´m gone (and you all know that I do), but the company is nice, and when I improve my Czech (enter: the desk) I will be able to communicate better with them.
Well, I had better get off this thing and finish my beer (ever have a beer in an Internet cafe?? I have). I have lots of cleaning ahead tonight, and music to listen to on my new Panasonic.
Till next post...

5 Comments:
Greetings;
I was just checking out my e-mail and thought I better check your Blogg as well, glad I did. I'm the first to get back to you. sounds like you have a job ahead of you just getting your apartment cleaned and stocked. oh well, everybody needs to work hard
occasionally.
Nice weather here today, warm, but not excessively. A real Fall day.
Everyone at our house is O.K. and we are just going to take advantage of the nice weather and go for a little drive to see some friends in Stayner.
Talk to you soon.
Lots of love, Gramma
I HAVE to see a picture of you with "Violet"... BAHAHAHAHAHA!! And all I can do now is giggle whenever Karil Gott is mentioned. And to think I never even heard her music...! Hehe. Love, ~Jess
Karel Gott, is a HE Jess, a HE. Exact translation of his name: Charles God. And it´s not even a stage name!
HAHAHA you named a bicycle... were you sober? When are the pictures coming? haha
I didn't know you could clean... i kept telling myself that it was a genetic problem, or atleast semi-convinced myself everytime i walk into my room, but goodluck with the flat. I like where Irena's head is at with binoculars.
i will chat with you soon! Later Gater
The pub bike is the BEST score! It is the ONE "must have" to live in Hradecs. I hope you and Violet are very happy.
It doesn't sound like there was much of anything in that apartment...no bed, no kitchen utensils,..........oh well, Jeff, I know you are but a simple man!! I note the CD player was second on your list ........I would have though it to be first in light of all the music you downloaded to take!! By the way still cannot find my umbrella ....any ideas??
I'm glad Niky's mom is keeping an eye on you (haha.) Anyway, take care, glad you're getting settled back in....talk soon
Love, Mom
Post a Comment
<< Home