The Drop
Perhaps that would be a good name instead of "jetlag". The Drop sounds kind of like the underwater sensation of getting The Bends, and it is probably a similar experience too.
So, as you have ascertained, I have returned safe and sound to Hradec Kralove, after a combined 24 hours (I´m guessing) of a Toronto-London flight, a Heathrow-Gatwick airport transfer (which bloody well DID cost me extra money!), a London-Prague flight, a Prague airport-Prague main train station bus and subway ride, a Prague-Hradec Kralove train ride, and a Hradec main train station to Central Theatre lugging of my goddam huge ass bag (Mom, perhaps you should actually get me that real luggage for Xmas, because that will be the last time I fill that hockey bag and take it anywhere again, unless it´s full of hockey equipment and I´m going to the arena). Nikola and her friend Lucka were there to greet me at the main train station in Hradec...I probably haven´t smiled so big in the past six weeks as when I saw her. She looks terrific, if possible more beautiful than before I left her. And as expected, she´s got a nice beach tan from Croatia....lookin´ good girlfriend!
My new boss, Petr Vrbecky, met us at Central Theatre and took me to my new flat and gave me the keys (and also helped me up the five flights of stairs to the top floor with my great Canadian bag...what a great guy!). This flat, as expected, is much nicer than the one I had last year. It´s definitely lacking in furniture and shelf space, but it makes up for that in quality, location, and size. It needs some cleaning and furniture, and stuff like a kettle and microwave, but I was told that Petr is pretty accommodating with all that. He´ll probably reimburse me for everything I add to the place. Oh yeah, it has a great balcony, complete with outdoor light. The bottom line: once I fix this place up (it could use a paint job too) it will be the best place I have lived, outside of family homes of course. It will put all of my Kingston houses and apartments and last year´s flat to shame. Mind you, I could NEVER duplicate the "good house" of 5 Birch, circa 2003-04 Queen´s University, consisting of the spectacular Steve Johns, the magnificent James Byrne, and myself (even if the "house" itself was condemned the year after we left). Anyway, it´s a bitchin´place....can´t wait to get it all set up and throw a warming party...I´ll of course let you know how THAT turns out!
Okay, I have LOTS of cleaning and sorting to do, and I still have some crap to get out of my old flat later this afternoon, so I´d better get out of this internet cafe and back to my new pad.
Till next post...
So, as you have ascertained, I have returned safe and sound to Hradec Kralove, after a combined 24 hours (I´m guessing) of a Toronto-London flight, a Heathrow-Gatwick airport transfer (which bloody well DID cost me extra money!), a London-Prague flight, a Prague airport-Prague main train station bus and subway ride, a Prague-Hradec Kralove train ride, and a Hradec main train station to Central Theatre lugging of my goddam huge ass bag (Mom, perhaps you should actually get me that real luggage for Xmas, because that will be the last time I fill that hockey bag and take it anywhere again, unless it´s full of hockey equipment and I´m going to the arena). Nikola and her friend Lucka were there to greet me at the main train station in Hradec...I probably haven´t smiled so big in the past six weeks as when I saw her. She looks terrific, if possible more beautiful than before I left her. And as expected, she´s got a nice beach tan from Croatia....lookin´ good girlfriend!
My new boss, Petr Vrbecky, met us at Central Theatre and took me to my new flat and gave me the keys (and also helped me up the five flights of stairs to the top floor with my great Canadian bag...what a great guy!). This flat, as expected, is much nicer than the one I had last year. It´s definitely lacking in furniture and shelf space, but it makes up for that in quality, location, and size. It needs some cleaning and furniture, and stuff like a kettle and microwave, but I was told that Petr is pretty accommodating with all that. He´ll probably reimburse me for everything I add to the place. Oh yeah, it has a great balcony, complete with outdoor light. The bottom line: once I fix this place up (it could use a paint job too) it will be the best place I have lived, outside of family homes of course. It will put all of my Kingston houses and apartments and last year´s flat to shame. Mind you, I could NEVER duplicate the "good house" of 5 Birch, circa 2003-04 Queen´s University, consisting of the spectacular Steve Johns, the magnificent James Byrne, and myself (even if the "house" itself was condemned the year after we left). Anyway, it´s a bitchin´place....can´t wait to get it all set up and throw a warming party...I´ll of course let you know how THAT turns out!
Okay, I have LOTS of cleaning and sorting to do, and I still have some crap to get out of my old flat later this afternoon, so I´d better get out of this internet cafe and back to my new pad.
Till next post...

8 Comments:
Glad to hear that you are there safe and sound! I was waiting all day for the text message that never came! I figurerd it would cost you money to transfer to Gatwick......how about your luggage weight??
Sounds like the new apartment is much better than the last but requires a little elbow grease.
Hopefully, it wil not take you long to adjust to the time change and get back into the swing of things..........by the way, where did you put my big umbrella?? I needed it this morning and couldn't find it!
Tke care and we'll talk soon.....
Love, Mom
hey Jeffy, great to hear that your in Hradec all happy and save :) I was supposed to greet you at the train station, too, 'cause Niky asked me to but I had some things to do before I leave for France. Lots of shopping in first place and you know, walking throughout the city like some shopping freak is pretty depressing for me! grr
so, I hope to see you as soon as possible! :)
Hi Jeff;
glad you are there safe and sound, even if we did hate to see you go.jYou are going to have to learn to travel lighter if you continue hopping across the pond. Have a good year and don't tire yourself out housecleaning, one day at a time, thats my motto. The only good thing about work is that it will still be there to be done tomorrow.
Love, Grandma
As if our house was condemned...I still love that story. It was very surreal meeting the actual landlords and hearing that whatshisname had been removed from his position...c'mon, did they REALLY need a failed safety inspection to know he was utterly incompetent?
Steve-o
p.s.: Glad you made it back. Sort of. I sort of miss you, too, in a very *** way.
Jeez... It took me 7 hours just to get my room unpacked/organized/a little bit decorated... I hope you get all your house work done quickly so you can get back to your "big dog" barking ways... Although I'm sure not having your apartment completely cleaned up won't stop you from this... Hehe. Love, ~Jess
Gulley - I miss you already too! Although I do expect to see you, and maybe James too, in UG very soon.
Gulley! Its been too long! Hope to see you the next time you're visiting Canada. Wish you all the best for your new chapter in The Republic!
Hi there you...
It's me. The sister with no time to read your blog, well i read it and im replying to it. We never did figure out that msn thing so maybe we just have to re-add eachother, im still the shibster_6 as usual. I meant to ask you if i could transfer your x-box to my living arrangements again... but i did it anyways so now you have no say in the matter! i started my victory lap at Innisdale once again, and i'll let you know i am already feeling the stress of my Challenge and Change in Society class which i have first and my Physical Education class, which i have second. My day ends around 11:00am, as you can imagine it's really working it's toll on me! Haha
Glad to hear the seagull had landed and that you finally saw your girlfriend, we all know how much you missed her. I will chat with you later
take'r easy!
Love Kari
Post a Comment
<< Home