The Return of the Giant Hogweed
My internet access is still a bit hit or miss, but I'm back again to update you with the latest in my Czechxploits (damn, that's so good I should consider changing the entire title of my blog! What do you guys think?)
My first month back continues to go quickly, as I spend my time getting settled. My apartment is now nearly fully furnished and ready to go...maybe just a few more things. But now I've finally gotten a bed, courtesy of Eva. Tomas and our friend Stepan delivered it to me last night, along with a wardrobe for coats and shoes and things. My pots and pans situation is much improved, and my freezer/fridge is defrosted, plugged back in, and fully stocked with such goodies as french fries, fish sticks, frozen vegetables, chicken, ground beef, water, milk, apple juice, cucumber, carrots, tzaziki, and oh yeah...beer. Thanks to a terrific little back alley used furniture/homegoods store, recommended to me by Alex, I now also have a a comfy armchair, toaster, and microwave...for a combined $50 Canadian for the three. Yet, the money situation is now dire, my school schedule is taking awhile to get set, and I'm living by eating the dirt under my fingernails (ok, I'm exaggerating a bit...I had a great Greek salad tonight).
And there are even further complications afoot. The first of my international visitors will be arriving this Wednesday to spend a week in the Czech Republic, presumably mostly with me. Any guesses? Who do you think it is? Steve might be able to guess. Okay, it's Trogdor the Byrninator. James Byrne (aka: Jimmybuoy), seriously one of my best friends from the university days, will be arriving on Wednesday, and staying to next Wednesday. The fool decided he'd fly into Brno though, not Prague, so he should have some fun connecting to Hradec Kralove through buses or trains or whatever he's using ;-) This was a visit that I knew was likely to happen, but I was very surprised upon checking my email tonight to see that not only was he still planning his trip, but he had already booked his return ticket from Dublin! That's the good ol' Jimmybuoy I know, love, and miss. It'll be great to see ya' again sir, and for the others, I'll try to get some photos posted (though I don't know if I can do it from my computer at work). If I thought I was broke before, what will become of me next week? I wonder if the Bank of Ruth is still open? ;-) (kidding, Mom).
I'm waiting for Niky and the other girls right now. They went off to see a play at the theatre tonight. You are supposed to dress up, but Niky (our favourite Blondie :P) forgot her nice skirt and blouse in Vysoka (the small village just outside of Hradec where she lives). So I'm just killing time at work before I meet them after the play. Our office is just off of the Old Town Square in Hradec, in a very nice location. I have 24 hour access to the office too, though they are renovating right now, and there are no lights whatsoever in our offices...just the light of this old computer monitor. And the internet connection is really frantic too, so I suppose I should just post this damn thing before it's too late, eh? If I don't write back ever again, it's because Nikola has killed me for calling her Blondie on my blog.
Till next post...
My first month back continues to go quickly, as I spend my time getting settled. My apartment is now nearly fully furnished and ready to go...maybe just a few more things. But now I've finally gotten a bed, courtesy of Eva. Tomas and our friend Stepan delivered it to me last night, along with a wardrobe for coats and shoes and things. My pots and pans situation is much improved, and my freezer/fridge is defrosted, plugged back in, and fully stocked with such goodies as french fries, fish sticks, frozen vegetables, chicken, ground beef, water, milk, apple juice, cucumber, carrots, tzaziki, and oh yeah...beer. Thanks to a terrific little back alley used furniture/homegoods store, recommended to me by Alex, I now also have a a comfy armchair, toaster, and microwave...for a combined $50 Canadian for the three. Yet, the money situation is now dire, my school schedule is taking awhile to get set, and I'm living by eating the dirt under my fingernails (ok, I'm exaggerating a bit...I had a great Greek salad tonight).
And there are even further complications afoot. The first of my international visitors will be arriving this Wednesday to spend a week in the Czech Republic, presumably mostly with me. Any guesses? Who do you think it is? Steve might be able to guess. Okay, it's Trogdor the Byrninator. James Byrne (aka: Jimmybuoy), seriously one of my best friends from the university days, will be arriving on Wednesday, and staying to next Wednesday. The fool decided he'd fly into Brno though, not Prague, so he should have some fun connecting to Hradec Kralove through buses or trains or whatever he's using ;-) This was a visit that I knew was likely to happen, but I was very surprised upon checking my email tonight to see that not only was he still planning his trip, but he had already booked his return ticket from Dublin! That's the good ol' Jimmybuoy I know, love, and miss. It'll be great to see ya' again sir, and for the others, I'll try to get some photos posted (though I don't know if I can do it from my computer at work). If I thought I was broke before, what will become of me next week? I wonder if the Bank of Ruth is still open? ;-) (kidding, Mom).
I'm waiting for Niky and the other girls right now. They went off to see a play at the theatre tonight. You are supposed to dress up, but Niky (our favourite Blondie :P) forgot her nice skirt and blouse in Vysoka (the small village just outside of Hradec where she lives). So I'm just killing time at work before I meet them after the play. Our office is just off of the Old Town Square in Hradec, in a very nice location. I have 24 hour access to the office too, though they are renovating right now, and there are no lights whatsoever in our offices...just the light of this old computer monitor. And the internet connection is really frantic too, so I suppose I should just post this damn thing before it's too late, eh? If I don't write back ever again, it's because Nikola has killed me for calling her Blondie on my blog.
Till next post...

7 Comments:
Glad to hear the full-fridge news... I don't think that much food would even have fit in the fridge in your last place, from what I remember anyway... Hehe. Anyway, class continues and I go from 6-9 tonight, so I'm just killing time until then. Love you lots, ~Jess
I expect an email from the two of you telling me you're on your way down here for a visit ;)
it's really not THAT expensive!
Oh Angela...
There's two of us up here and only one of you down there...so who should be visiting who? Besides, you don't need Yellow Fever shots and malaria pills to visit the Czech Republic ;-)
Sounds like you've done more house work and cleaning in one week than you did all summer !! I hope that your new boss is helping financially with the refurbishing of his apartment!
Things are fine here........just getting over a nasty little cold from last weekend. Girls were at J.C. Massie's funeral this morning. He passed away earlier this week. Dad just back from Fondulac this afternoon. Trying to finish up work and leave for the weekend. Hope you get to work before your forzen fish sticks and french fries run out!!
Hey Gulley! I hope your visit with James was fun.. and not too expensive for your current budget. I would love to see pictures!
Hope teaching is going well.. I imagine the second year is easier than the first!
Ginny
fishsticks? thats an interesting choice, i have never known you to even like fish, let alone made into a stick? (not that it really matters how fish is cooked, but the overall idea is wretched!) HAHA, i should stop while i'm ahead...
But i won't. Its good to hear you are eating...something, and that you have furniture now. School is okay here, all two classes, and i'm keeping busy with work of course! How is the weather? it's gotten a bit chilly here but i have some pretty cute jokes that i got in an email that may remind you a little bit of home....
You live in Ontario
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by,you live in Ontario.
If your local Dairy Queen is closed from September to May, you live in Ontario. (truthfully, Bradford St. is)
If you instinctively walk like a penguin for six months out of the year you live in Ontario.
If your dad's suntan line stops somewhere down the middle of his forehead, you live in Ontario.
If you have worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you live in Ontario.
If you have a lengthy phone conversation with someone who dialed the wrong number, you live in Ontario.
true ontarians:
1.to you,"Vacation" means going south past London for the weekend
2.measure distance in hours
3.know several people who have hit a deer more than once
4.often switch from "heat" to "a/c" in the same day and then back.
5.can drive 110km/h in two feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching
6. design their kid's halloween costumes to fit over a snowsuit
7. know driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow
8. know all for seasons are almost winter, winter, still winter, and road construction
9. moved their first of July picnic indoors due to frost
10.have more miles on their snowblower then they do their car
11. find 0 degrees "a little chilly"
12. actually understand these jokes
Hahah anyways i found these kind of humourous i thought i would share them with you and whoever else felt liek reading this long message! adios for now. Love you lots, miss you more
-kari
oh gulley. how i want to come back and visit again. i am bored already with the college of cut and paste. sigh. reading your blog gives me such hilarious flashbacks to dancing up a storm in prague, seeing you naked (yikes!) and all of our other adventures. i just saw tim jebb today too so i am having quite the moment! anyway. glad to hear you are back, happy and safe. love sarah!
Post a Comment
<< Home