Wind and Wuthering
Hi everyone...I'm posting this from an internet cafe in Vienna, so I've only got about 20 minutes to make this sweet.
Arrived yesterday night, after having missed my 10:44 train I caught the 15:05 one. Then the 15:05 train was delayed, sent to Slovakia, and I finally arrived to Vienna 100 minutes late, and with the assurances that the train company was very sorry for the inconvenience. Nevertheless, I made it. But I leave tomorrow so that didn't leave much time for sightseeing.
My first impression of Vienna was absolute rudeness from the jerk tram driver, who wasn't at all accommodating to an idiotic tourist who didn't know how to make the dram doors swing open. I even tried the secret password, but those doors weren't budging. Turns out, all you have to do is press the very conspicuous button that flashes light and almost screams "PRESS ME TO OPEN THE DOOR YOU IDIOT CANADIAN!". Still though, he didn't have to knock back on the window when I knocked to get his attention...geez what a jerk.
So when I got to the hostel, which is THE strangest hostel I've ever seen, I found that I had been allotted to the third bunk. That's right folks...third bunk. The room is full of Indian students who are in town for a moot court competition. I chatted with them for a bit, and ended up going with them to their end ceremonies celebrations. So many jokes presented themselves last night, but I bit my tongue...by the way, what do you call a bar full of law students at the bottom of the River Danube? So they introduced me to one of the people they met during the week: he's a sikh, and he's from Hamilton, ON, and he studies at Osgoode Hall in York University. What's more? He knows very well a girl named Chauncy, who is also in her final year at Osgoode, who also happened to go to philosophy classes with me at Queen's during undergrad, and I occasionally partied with her. Small world I tell you.
So today I fulfilled one of my dreams since high school. I visited the Sigmund Freud museum. Jen is shaking her head and rolling her eyes at me right now, but don't worry Jen, your postcard is on the way...and it's got his autograph too! You see, I think Freud was important to modern human thought, but Jen studied the 'scientific' branch of psychology at university, so she dismisses him as a pervert. Don't worry about the fact that it's only thanks to Freud that modern child psychology exists in the first place...I don't think anybody even cared about kids before Freud nearly as much as they do today...especially not as psychologically developing people. That's all beside the point eh Jen? ;) (she is going to kill me for posting this decade long argument!)
It is windy like the breath of Zephyr here today. My golden shoulder-length locks are in such disarray that I'm starting to get funny looks from all of the beautiful, beautiful girls in this city. I have no idea what I'm doing tonight...I was supposed to meet up with Allan, because him and Pat happen to be here as well, but our phone provider from the Czech Republic doesn't have service here. I don't really want to go out with the Indians again because they don't appreciate my sarcastic humour...I don't think this is because they're Indians, but probably because they're lawyers in training. Anyways, I'm running out of time here, so maybe I'll go ask that cute girl at the counter who helped set me up on the Internet here what she's doing tonight.
That's all from Vienna, I'll post from Budapest in the next few days if anything of note happens.
Till next post...
Arrived yesterday night, after having missed my 10:44 train I caught the 15:05 one. Then the 15:05 train was delayed, sent to Slovakia, and I finally arrived to Vienna 100 minutes late, and with the assurances that the train company was very sorry for the inconvenience. Nevertheless, I made it. But I leave tomorrow so that didn't leave much time for sightseeing.
My first impression of Vienna was absolute rudeness from the jerk tram driver, who wasn't at all accommodating to an idiotic tourist who didn't know how to make the dram doors swing open. I even tried the secret password, but those doors weren't budging. Turns out, all you have to do is press the very conspicuous button that flashes light and almost screams "PRESS ME TO OPEN THE DOOR YOU IDIOT CANADIAN!". Still though, he didn't have to knock back on the window when I knocked to get his attention...geez what a jerk.
So when I got to the hostel, which is THE strangest hostel I've ever seen, I found that I had been allotted to the third bunk. That's right folks...third bunk. The room is full of Indian students who are in town for a moot court competition. I chatted with them for a bit, and ended up going with them to their end ceremonies celebrations. So many jokes presented themselves last night, but I bit my tongue...by the way, what do you call a bar full of law students at the bottom of the River Danube? So they introduced me to one of the people they met during the week: he's a sikh, and he's from Hamilton, ON, and he studies at Osgoode Hall in York University. What's more? He knows very well a girl named Chauncy, who is also in her final year at Osgoode, who also happened to go to philosophy classes with me at Queen's during undergrad, and I occasionally partied with her. Small world I tell you.
So today I fulfilled one of my dreams since high school. I visited the Sigmund Freud museum. Jen is shaking her head and rolling her eyes at me right now, but don't worry Jen, your postcard is on the way...and it's got his autograph too! You see, I think Freud was important to modern human thought, but Jen studied the 'scientific' branch of psychology at university, so she dismisses him as a pervert. Don't worry about the fact that it's only thanks to Freud that modern child psychology exists in the first place...I don't think anybody even cared about kids before Freud nearly as much as they do today...especially not as psychologically developing people. That's all beside the point eh Jen? ;) (she is going to kill me for posting this decade long argument!)
It is windy like the breath of Zephyr here today. My golden shoulder-length locks are in such disarray that I'm starting to get funny looks from all of the beautiful, beautiful girls in this city. I have no idea what I'm doing tonight...I was supposed to meet up with Allan, because him and Pat happen to be here as well, but our phone provider from the Czech Republic doesn't have service here. I don't really want to go out with the Indians again because they don't appreciate my sarcastic humour...I don't think this is because they're Indians, but probably because they're lawyers in training. Anyways, I'm running out of time here, so maybe I'll go ask that cute girl at the counter who helped set me up on the Internet here what she's doing tonight.
That's all from Vienna, I'll post from Budapest in the next few days if anything of note happens.
Till next post...

2 Comments:
Happy Easter............just finished up taxes this morning so I can now pack for my trip uninterrupted! That's right, only 5 more sleeps before we begin the journey. We are flying by the seat of our pants. At this point, we have only booked for our flight to and from Scotland, but we understand there to be so many cheap flights to be had once there so will travel with the wind my friend!
Had G & G Sharpe, Tom, G Bea and Aunt Sandy for Easter dinner last night. Jen made two great desserts for dinner and we were all stuffed when it was said and done. Going to the Griswolds for dinner tonight........a feast to be sure........you know how the bird cooks! Anyway, I will be e-mailing before we leave and I will have access to Jim & Gills e-mail to finalize our meeting time on the Friday.
Glad you are having a good time in your travels.....we'll see all the pictures when we get there..... Til then...........love ya.
Hello World Traveller;
Happy Easter. We missed you last night at your Mom's, but I think I ate enough for you as well as myself. Wonderful meal, as always, and ate way too much. Grampa and I and Aunt Sandy had been to a 55th Wedding Anniversay tea in the afternoon in Gravenhurst, and the food there was plentiful as well, so it was a lost week end, diet wise. Oh well, tomorrow is another day.
Have a good time on the rest of your trip.
Love Gramma
Post a Comment
<< Home