Monday, September 19, 2005

Where the Sour Turns to Sweet

Hey all....

Hope everyone had a great weekend. I certainly did. I think it´s gonna be the last good weekend here. The weather has been growing significantly colder with each passing day (but I´ve been assured that in the winter the snow is never too deep). This weekend was the first "jacket" weekend since I´ve been here.

Saturday was chilly. I started another job, extra work, in Pardubice. Pardubice is about 20 minutes away from Hradec Kralové, and just a bit smaller in population--for any hockey fans out there, Pardubice is where Dominik Hasek is from. So I was driven to a hotel on Saturday morning where I met my new boss, Jana. She got me set up and paid me right away for the 5 hours I worked that morning. Then the students showed up--there are four of them, and they are all double my age. So was I nervous teaching adults?? Absolutely NOT dear readers!! In fact, they were very happy to have me as a native speaker, and I think that THEY were a little bit nervous when I called upon them to speak or share. This was five hours of conversational English lessons, which basically means that I find five hours of "stuff" to talk about....no real lessons at all. So when that was done, we left for lunch and one of the students drove me back to Hradec. I expect to be doing this job one Saturday a month.

Saturday night I went out with Tomas and his girlfriend Eva. They had some other friends meet us too, and they all spoke English which was good. One of his friends saw it as his mission that night to teach me all the rude words in Czech, so I´m becoming more fluent in the language every day!

Then Sunday, to which the title of this post refers. Tomas, Eva, and I went on a bike trip out of the city. I borrowed Tomas´ brother´s bike, and we took off about 17 kms outside of Hradec, up a hill, to a place called Hradek. In Hradek there is a 150 year old castle, or chateau, at the top of the hill. I did the tour inside....it was so nice....well worth the painful climb up the hill. Plus, going downhill on the way back was much nicer. It was a great day, but a little windy and chilly.

That´s all for now....I have to teach an extra lesson on Monday nights--tonight--so I´ll be off now.

Till next post....

P.S. Happy Belated Birthdays to Trasher and JBW.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello Again;

this is a great way to keep in touch. Nothing new here. Grandpa came in 3rd in the euchre tournament. He was down toToronto on Wednesday for an specialist appointment for his legs and had to go back for another test when they let us know. We are going to a wedding in Barrie today, a friend of mine, her daughter is getting married. Talk to you soon,
Love, Grandma

11:20 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home