Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Counting Out Time...

Hey Everyone,

Next post you get from me, I'll be out of Ontario. After an incredible summer of build-up to this trip, I'm now left counting out time until my departure.

I must admit I was a little shaken by yesterday's news of a plane going down at Pearson International....exactly one week to the day too. But for anyone who knows just exactly how stubborn I can be (Jen?), I'm not turning back now.

I had an awesome long weekend, doing the usual two family reunions thing. First was the annual Redpath Golf tourney, which began Friday night with the "Pro-Am" (which is honestly just an excuse to camp out and drink to see who stays up latest). I didn't defend my longest drive title this year, but I wasn't far off, and the guy who won it is the guy whose father is taking me golfing on his private course in Edinburgh, so it all works out. Gulleyfest, (another reason to camp out and drink to see who stays up latest), was also a lot of fun. I met up with my best cousin Chris there and we got all caught up with each other. He's lived in the U.S. for our whole lives basically, but we've always been such close friends that when we see each other we don't miss a beat. On the Sunday we got up and me and my brother Jordan drove over to Chris's cottage in Sauble Beach and met his family there. It was pretty grey and stormy for my only night there, but let me tell you, you've never seen a thunder and lightning storm until you've seen one up at Sauble Beach!! We had quite the light show across Lake Huron for most of the night, and I was lucky to have the weather clear up enough on Monday that we could go in the water. Tubing rocks!!

Now I'm at the worst stage of anyone's trip: the packing stage. I'm having a bit of a flashback to my university days here, because that was the only other time where I was able to procrastinate and put off something for so long. But I have no doubt that it'll all come together by about Monday afternoon.....and if it doesn't, then I'm screwed.

Special thanks to my Mom and Larry for the sweeeeeeet digital camera they're supplying me with to take all the awesome photos you guys are gonna see. Also, my step-mom Wilma is helping me get started with a rather generous financial contribution to my trip. So yes, I will get to eat my first month in Hradec Kralove! Thanks so much guys.....

That's it for now. I'll try to get an entry off in between drinking sessions while I'm in Halifax (hopefully with a photo or two).

Till next post...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I heard about the plane fiasco @ Pearson. But I also heard that the rescue was so perfect, it was like an example from a textbook. So you're in good hands! Safe travels, my friend.

10:42 p.m.  
Blogger gulldogg said...

Yes Akiko,

Unbeleivable that nobody was killed or seriously hurt in this crash. I suspect that some good pilot work is to thank for this, but I suppose more will surface in the investigation.

Thanks for the wishes....I hope to see you again sometime soon.

Jeff

12:32 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that why your friends call you whiskers? you little worrier. :)
GEOFFerithss, you'll be fine big brotha, as long as you don't forget your passport in your airplane seat and then realize it when you're on the tarmac (not good)
Anyways just wanted to type you a little message and tell you that i miss you already but the Xbox is keeping me good company, for now. I'll keep you up to date on the homefront as long as you keep us up to date! Have a great time.
Love Karrence!

10:10 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home