Friday, September 07, 2007

Musical Chairs (family version)...

So, my family has been changing quite regularly lately.

First of all, on August 28th I welcomed two more people into my Czech family: my two old friends from Barrie, Chris Sherry and Lisa Henderson (not 'old' as in, "wow, you're old!", but 'old' as in "hey, I've known you for awhile!"). Chris and Lisa are going to be teaching in Hradec Kralove this year; actually, they've got my old job (you'll notice that it takes two of them to do what one of me could do -- rookies). Anyway, they arrived last week and Niky and I got them all set up and started in the city. They have their own apartment now across the city, close to where I lived in my first year here. We almost got them into the same building as I'm in currently, but it didn't come furnished, and that was the kicker in the end. I'm excited to have them here for the year, and I'm looking forward to good times ahead.

Second of all, Niky and I welcomed back yesterday, after quite a long absence, our good ol' washing machine. Bob broke it while he was visiting here in June, and we've been looking for a repairman ever since then. Can you believe that there are no repairmen in this city? Or, if there are, they do a really shitty job of advertising. If anyone out there is a washing machine repairman and wants to have a monopoly in a city of over 100,000, move to Hradec Kralove. You'll clean up. Well, she finally DID find someone, and he fixed the old girl up yesterday (the machine, not Niky).

The third bit is some sad news. After suffering from neglect for the better part of the winter/spring, Violet, my pub-bike, will be returning to her former owner. Alex the Scot needed a bike to get back and forth between his place and his girlfriend's new place -- I told him that I wasn't really using Violet anymore, so he could give her a good home. She'll be happy to have some company again.

And finally, another friend from Barrie will be arriving sometime in the next two weeks. Murray VanWyk, who visited awhile back in February or March, will also be teaching in the city. It'll be a mini-Barrie reunion to say the least. I should start my own little business here!

So those are the recent changes to my family. Some other members of my family, namely Mom and Larry, are enjoying a beautiful Greek vacation right now -- hopefully sans wildfires.

Till Next Post...

4 Comments:

Blogger Roberta Right said...

Isn´t it sooo unfair? You´ve got almost 100% chance of getting a job as a teacher just because you were born in the "right" country... :-)) - Good luck to Chris and Lisa ;-)

10:27 a.m.  
Blogger Chris & Lisa said...

Generous Jeff...
You have been the most hospitable ... we are finally out of your hair and your space tomorrow. And this time we will be taking all of our belongings with us so you will be free to roam around without bumping into/cursing at our piles of luggage.
Thank you Jeff. You rock!
Chris & Lisa

11:15 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

C'mon for heaven's sake........ get this blog updated!!

8:47 a.m.  
Blogger Roberta Right said...

Update...? ;-)

8:40 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home