I found heaven...
Český Krumlov.
This is the happiest place on earth, I suppose. I've heard about this place a lot before, but not until this past weekend did I actually go there to visit it. It's a small town of about 16,000, located in the south of the Czech Republic, just south of České Budějovice (where the original Budweiser was/is made). The entire town of Český Krumlov is photogenic, as you'll see at the end of this blog. It is popular with tourists, yes, but it's not nearly as crowded as Prague is, and there are hardly any cars allowed down the streets of the Old Town.
My good friend from Barrie, Bob Cole, arrived last Tuesday. It was his idea to visit Český Krumlov (actually, he wanted Berlin, but I insisted on something in the Czech Republic as I'm trying to save up for Canada this summer). So we caught the train on Friday evening, and at 11:30pm we arrived in Český Krumlov. After a few beers, in different bars, we ended up meeting some Canadians from Halifax (one was a good ol' Newfie, but he goes to school in Halifax). We hung out with them for a bit, and then eventually followed them to their hostel, where we walked into the biggest, most random party I've ever seen. Immediately, Bob and I looked at each other and decided that this is where we'd stay the weekend. So we partied up that night at the hostel, meeting some Welsh guys and two cool Czech girls now living in London in the process.
Next day (Saturday), we woke up and checked out the castle, which is protected by UNESCO. The castle gates are 'protected' by a moat with bears in it. The castle grounds themselves are spectacular, with great courtyards, cool dungeons, and a beautiful, large garden. There are even houses close to the garden, where people still live to this day. Imagine telling people that you live in a castle? After climbing the tower and taking a bunch of photos, we decided to have some beers by the river. The River Vltava runs through Český Krumlov and flows all the way to Prague eventually. However, in Český Krumlov it is much more lazy and relaxed, ideal for kayakers, rafters, and canoers. We sat by the river and just as we ordered our first beer we saw the two Czech girls from the night before rafting by. They joined us for a bit and then continued on, agreeing to meet up again with us that night. Bob and I enjoyed a couple more beers and a couple games of chess before we decided that we felt left out, and we decided to go find a raft. We walked to the other side of the city, and then jogged 1.5 kilometres (me in my bare feet) before we came to the campsite where the rafts can be rented. We paid for an hours rental, and rafted back into Český Krumlov, crossing four weirs in the process (we didn't fall). Bob got absolutely nailed with mosquito bites, but still had fun and got some good photos.
That night, we ate at the same place on the river that we had the beers, and then headed back to the hostel to nap and clean up. We partied again with the Welsh guys and Czech girls for a bit, and then Bob and I left the hostel bar to go to another place. It was a downstairs cellar bar with a strange horror movie theme. Over some more beers, Bob and I caught up and got into a pretty good argument, as we tend to do most of the time -- Bob and I want the same things in life and the world, we just disagree on how to acheive it. Anyway, agreeing to disagree (again!) we left the bar, but the bar must have had some time travelling properties, because when we left the sun was rising and the birds were chirping -- we'd somehow stayed there until 5 or 6am. So we got 4 hours of sleep at the hostel, and then went and caught our train back to Prague -- I continued on to Hradec Kralove, but Bob stayed in Prague as he is catching a bus today to go to Budapest for a few days.
A wonderful weekend it was. Now I look forward to the Genesis concert tomorrow night.
Photos from Český Krumlov will follow later when I have the time to add them.
Till next post...
This is the happiest place on earth, I suppose. I've heard about this place a lot before, but not until this past weekend did I actually go there to visit it. It's a small town of about 16,000, located in the south of the Czech Republic, just south of České Budějovice (where the original Budweiser was/is made). The entire town of Český Krumlov is photogenic, as you'll see at the end of this blog. It is popular with tourists, yes, but it's not nearly as crowded as Prague is, and there are hardly any cars allowed down the streets of the Old Town.
My good friend from Barrie, Bob Cole, arrived last Tuesday. It was his idea to visit Český Krumlov (actually, he wanted Berlin, but I insisted on something in the Czech Republic as I'm trying to save up for Canada this summer). So we caught the train on Friday evening, and at 11:30pm we arrived in Český Krumlov. After a few beers, in different bars, we ended up meeting some Canadians from Halifax (one was a good ol' Newfie, but he goes to school in Halifax). We hung out with them for a bit, and then eventually followed them to their hostel, where we walked into the biggest, most random party I've ever seen. Immediately, Bob and I looked at each other and decided that this is where we'd stay the weekend. So we partied up that night at the hostel, meeting some Welsh guys and two cool Czech girls now living in London in the process.
Next day (Saturday), we woke up and checked out the castle, which is protected by UNESCO. The castle gates are 'protected' by a moat with bears in it. The castle grounds themselves are spectacular, with great courtyards, cool dungeons, and a beautiful, large garden. There are even houses close to the garden, where people still live to this day. Imagine telling people that you live in a castle? After climbing the tower and taking a bunch of photos, we decided to have some beers by the river. The River Vltava runs through Český Krumlov and flows all the way to Prague eventually. However, in Český Krumlov it is much more lazy and relaxed, ideal for kayakers, rafters, and canoers. We sat by the river and just as we ordered our first beer we saw the two Czech girls from the night before rafting by. They joined us for a bit and then continued on, agreeing to meet up again with us that night. Bob and I enjoyed a couple more beers and a couple games of chess before we decided that we felt left out, and we decided to go find a raft. We walked to the other side of the city, and then jogged 1.5 kilometres (me in my bare feet) before we came to the campsite where the rafts can be rented. We paid for an hours rental, and rafted back into Český Krumlov, crossing four weirs in the process (we didn't fall). Bob got absolutely nailed with mosquito bites, but still had fun and got some good photos.
That night, we ate at the same place on the river that we had the beers, and then headed back to the hostel to nap and clean up. We partied again with the Welsh guys and Czech girls for a bit, and then Bob and I left the hostel bar to go to another place. It was a downstairs cellar bar with a strange horror movie theme. Over some more beers, Bob and I caught up and got into a pretty good argument, as we tend to do most of the time -- Bob and I want the same things in life and the world, we just disagree on how to acheive it. Anyway, agreeing to disagree (again!) we left the bar, but the bar must have had some time travelling properties, because when we left the sun was rising and the birds were chirping -- we'd somehow stayed there until 5 or 6am. So we got 4 hours of sleep at the hostel, and then went and caught our train back to Prague -- I continued on to Hradec Kralove, but Bob stayed in Prague as he is catching a bus today to go to Budapest for a few days.
A wonderful weekend it was. Now I look forward to the Genesis concert tomorrow night.
Photos from Český Krumlov will follow later when I have the time to add them.
Till next post...

4 Comments:
wow sounds pretty freaking solid.
beats K-town, but I'm done in like 10 days.
gulley! i LOVED cesky krumluv too. it was my favourite place that i visited!!!! i'll come meet you there anytime.
btw, i have a little card to send you, what is your address in the czech republic?
Cesky Krumlov - what a place? My two and a bit days there were potentially the most chilled that I have been in the last year!!!
I would like to 2nd Sarah's motion and agree to meet you there anytime.
BTW, unrelated note, I have started reading The God Delusion at your recommendation. I will email you thoughts at a later date. Maybe we can discuss it in Cesky Krumlov
Cesky Krumlov - what a place? My two and a bit days there were potentially the most chilled that I have been in the last year!!!
I would like to 2nd Sarah's motion and agree to meet you there anytime.
BTW, unrelated note, I have started reading The God Delusion at your recommendation. I will email you thoughts at a later date. Maybe we can discuss it in Cesky Krumlov
Post a Comment
<< Home