Behind the Lines, II
Another year in the Czech Republic, another reading list....
Till Next Post....
- State of Fear -- Michael Crichton
- Everything is Illuminated -- Jonathan Safran Foer
- TV Nation -- Michael Moore
- Different Seasons -- Stephen King (4 short stories)
- Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption
- Apt Pupil
- The Body
- The Breathing Method
- Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close -- Jonathan Safran Foer
- Crow Lake -- Mary Lawson
- Pilgrim -- Timothy Findley
- Around the World in Eighty Days -- Jules Verne
- Mr. Nice -- Howard Marks
- The Children of Men -- P.D. James
- Eats, Shoots & Leaves -- Lynne Truss
- The Historian -- Elizabeth Kostova
- A Brief History of the End of the World: From Revelation to Eco-Disaster -- Simon Pearson
- Digital Fortress -- Dan Brown
- The God Delusion -- Richard Dawkins
- Life of Pi (for the 3rd time) -- Yann Martell
- A Case of Need -- Michael Crichton
- The Zahir -- Paulo Coelho
- The Great Train Robbery -- Michael Crichton
- 1984 -- George Orwell (just finished).
- Michael Crichton is one of my favourite authors, ever. Every book of his I've ever read, I've liked (except for A Case of Need). He's an entertaining writer and a diligent researcher, and he simultaneously captures the attention and imagination better than any writer I can think of.
- Michael Moore is a frustrating left-wing hippie, who I agree and disagree with on many levels, and the world needs more people like him who are unafraid to raise consciousness of the world around you (I'm also thinking of Bill Hicks here, whose book I read last year).
- Stephen King is a good and entertaining writer.
- Canadian literature really is bad (except for Life of Pi). Crow Lake: awful. Pilgrim: awful
- I don't mind (some) post-modern lit afterall (J.S. Foer).
- Pilgrim is an unfortunately disappointing book, despite the promising premise.
- Around the World in Eighty Days is a surprisingly delightful book.
- Howard Marks is an antagonist, but did not deserve to spend more time in prison for trafficking marijuana than Mike Tyson did for rape.
- Sometimes the book is actually WORSE than the movie (Children of Men).
- Punctuation can be fun (Eats, Shoots & Leaves ----- actually, I always knew that punctuation could be fun).
- A book that starts good doesn't always end good (The Historian)
- There's no rational reason to believe in any kind of god and that doing so fanatically can be dangerous to the living and loving creatures around you (The God Delusion and A Brief History of the End of the World)
- god can show you just what you need to see, at just the right time (The Zahir)
- 1984 is a book worth finishing, even if the beginning IS really lame.
- However, most importantly, I've learned that I have a lot of good ideas in my head, and I need to get off my ass and quit writing free blog entries for all the freeloaders out there when I have perfectly good books waiting to be written/published/bought. (okay, I'm just kidding. Steve is the only freeloader who reads this).
- ...seriously though, I should write more.
Till Next Post....

3 Comments:
man, you have read more books then me, how dare you :D no I'm kidding, impressive list of books ;)
btw: I will keep my fingers crossed for Niky and you to meet up with your family but I'm sure everything will be alright ;) enjoy your three-weeks trip guys :)
I'm with you on the Crichton commment - I have yet to run into a book of his that I haven't enjoyed immensely.
You're welcome on the "enjoyable post-modern lit" recommendation and loan! :) I'm reading EL&IC again right now. And as far as the Can Lit comment, what about poor old Robertson Davies...? Glad you're home! Breakfast was a blast and Ottawa will be all that and more!
Post a Comment
<< Home