The Musical Box
Ahem, another list (Jessica, jump on this bandwagon!) that I have comandeered from Bri, Paul, and Talia. A little late, but I was in Vienna when I noticed its stinky origin. I cannot pass up an opportunity to complete a list, and allow you to intrude into my psyche. So here it is, The Musical Blogs presents:
One Song I Hate to Admit That I Like:
1) "Take On Me" -- Aha; (in fact I like a LOT of one hit wonders that I'm ashamed to admit!)
(Special Honours go to anything by Mike and the Mechanics...I do like them!)
Two Songs That Always Make Me Cry:
1) "Yesterday" -- The Beatles; (lovely song)
2) "Willie and Jean" -- JK Gulley; (thanks for this one Dad)
Three Songs I Would Dance To At My Wedding:
1) "Wonderful Tonight" -- Eric Clapton; (too cliche?)
2) "Book of Love" -- Peter Gabriel; (too cheesy?)
3) --I suppose I would/should let my bride-to-be have a crack at the third song ;)
Ten Songs I Can't Live Without
1) "Supper's Ready" -- Genesis; (22 minute long epic)
2) "Fight Test" -- The Flaming Lips; (a great confidence builder)
3) "Over the Hills and Far Away" -- Led Zeppelin; (I never get tired of this one)
4) "Love to be Loved" -- Peter Gabriel; (beautiful)
5) "I Wish it Would Rain Down" -- Phil Collins; (if only for Clapton's wailing guitar work)
6) "Saturday Night Is Over" -- Monkey Business; (a Czech band I discovered this year...reeeeeeal funky)
7) "The Hockey Night In Canada Theme"; (it was proven this year that I couldn't live without this song)
8) "In My Place" -- Coldplay; (one of the best rock songs I know)
9) "Cinema Show" -- Genesis; (greatest rock keyboard solo I've ever heard; beautiful dual guitar work too)
10) a tie: a) "City of Blinding Lights" -- U2
b) "Superstition" -- Stevie Wonder
(I can't pass a jukebox without playing these two songs)
Music is probably the most important element of my life. If I had the choice of going blind or going deaf, I would have to choose blindness (and if you've seen my prescription for eyeglasses you'll know that I'm pretty close to being blind!). Music is the only artform that absolutely EVERYBODY likes in some form, therefore probably the most important one as well; not everybody reads, not everybody watches TV or movies, most people don't really pay attention to paintings anymore, many people don't attend plays, and many people can pass by any form of visual art without flinching. However, around the world, music is the one form of art that is enjoyed by everybody (and although I can't prove this, I can still say it with 99.9% certainty). In regards to the first category, "One song that I hate to admit I like", I have a comment. Music is for enjoyment, not for proving how cool you are. If somebody doesn't like or makes fun of your choice of music because it's just not cool enough, they're obviously missing the point -- don't let them ruin that love. If I can do it, so can you: I've been laughed at for years because of my Genesis/Peter Gabriel/Phil Collins addiction, but I haven't stopped enjoying it! :) Infact, there are rumblings of a Genesis reunion: Gabriel, Collins, Hackett, Rutherford, and Banks, together again. Apparantly they will play the whole Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. This has been spoken of by Phil Collins himself on the radio, but I'll believe it when I see the official statement. Fingers still crossed though. Do you realize that I will pay whatever money I must to go see this show?
I love my music...case closed. Pictures of Vienna and Budapest will be up tomorrow.
Till next post...
One Song I Hate to Admit That I Like:
1) "Take On Me" -- Aha; (in fact I like a LOT of one hit wonders that I'm ashamed to admit!)
(Special Honours go to anything by Mike and the Mechanics...I do like them!)
Two Songs That Always Make Me Cry:
1) "Yesterday" -- The Beatles; (lovely song)
2) "Willie and Jean" -- JK Gulley; (thanks for this one Dad)
Three Songs I Would Dance To At My Wedding:
1) "Wonderful Tonight" -- Eric Clapton; (too cliche?)
2) "Book of Love" -- Peter Gabriel; (too cheesy?)
3) --I suppose I would/should let my bride-to-be have a crack at the third song ;)
Ten Songs I Can't Live Without
1) "Supper's Ready" -- Genesis; (22 minute long epic)
2) "Fight Test" -- The Flaming Lips; (a great confidence builder)
3) "Over the Hills and Far Away" -- Led Zeppelin; (I never get tired of this one)
4) "Love to be Loved" -- Peter Gabriel; (beautiful)
5) "I Wish it Would Rain Down" -- Phil Collins; (if only for Clapton's wailing guitar work)
6) "Saturday Night Is Over" -- Monkey Business; (a Czech band I discovered this year...reeeeeeal funky)
7) "The Hockey Night In Canada Theme"; (it was proven this year that I couldn't live without this song)
8) "In My Place" -- Coldplay; (one of the best rock songs I know)
9) "Cinema Show" -- Genesis; (greatest rock keyboard solo I've ever heard; beautiful dual guitar work too)
10) a tie: a) "City of Blinding Lights" -- U2
b) "Superstition" -- Stevie Wonder
(I can't pass a jukebox without playing these two songs)
Music is probably the most important element of my life. If I had the choice of going blind or going deaf, I would have to choose blindness (and if you've seen my prescription for eyeglasses you'll know that I'm pretty close to being blind!). Music is the only artform that absolutely EVERYBODY likes in some form, therefore probably the most important one as well; not everybody reads, not everybody watches TV or movies, most people don't really pay attention to paintings anymore, many people don't attend plays, and many people can pass by any form of visual art without flinching. However, around the world, music is the one form of art that is enjoyed by everybody (and although I can't prove this, I can still say it with 99.9% certainty). In regards to the first category, "One song that I hate to admit I like", I have a comment. Music is for enjoyment, not for proving how cool you are. If somebody doesn't like or makes fun of your choice of music because it's just not cool enough, they're obviously missing the point -- don't let them ruin that love. If I can do it, so can you: I've been laughed at for years because of my Genesis/Peter Gabriel/Phil Collins addiction, but I haven't stopped enjoying it! :) Infact, there are rumblings of a Genesis reunion: Gabriel, Collins, Hackett, Rutherford, and Banks, together again. Apparantly they will play the whole Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. This has been spoken of by Phil Collins himself on the radio, but I'll believe it when I see the official statement. Fingers still crossed though. Do you realize that I will pay whatever money I must to go see this show?
I love my music...case closed. Pictures of Vienna and Budapest will be up tomorrow.
Till next post...

10 Comments:
What, nothing by Silverchair? I can't imagine what my fifth year would've been like without waking up at 3am with that fucking DVD blasting from the living room. Or, for that matter, what it would've been like without our housemate calling the cops on us.
If you were referring to me when you mentioned being bugged about your Genesis/Phil Collins love...I would just like to offer this in my defence...When love turns to obsession it rarely is a positive thing...and just because you love it doesn't mean that EVERYBODY will or should love it too....
Jen
Steve-o: I couldn't for the life of me think of one Silverchair song that I couldn't live without. The music on the whole is incredible, but one specific song....okay, okay -- one song that I would dance to at my wedding: Anthem For the Year 2000 by Silverchair ;)
Jen: not referring to you specifically at all.
Now what is this... Copying me so you can be cool because your music choices aren't working out? Haha And oh the memories Aha calls to mind! I was listening to that song the other day, and yes, I absolutely love it!
Love, ~Jess
Gulley,
The song "book of love" makes me believe in magic ... it's pure genius. When I listen to it, I well up inside and wish that I had someone to sweep me off my feet, right then and there.
Great choice. I suppose we will now have to get married :D
Hey Anonymous, I think one post is quite enough don't you? Oh, and if you knew anything about you'd know that I hate shopping. Still though, your offer sounds REALLY intriguing.....
Anyone else hate spam?
Hey Jeff;
I didn't notice and CW on that list. Have a great time with your Mom & Larry.
Talk to you soon,
Gramma
hey jeff, im a tad dissapointed to not see Have A Cigar on that list or somethin by Floyd. Or Musical Box. But for the most part it was alright.
Jeff, I didn't know you are into music so much. I agree with your choice of be blind rather than be deaf. Well both things aren't very good, though.
Hey Stranger!
Ok...you really got my attention with your last comment...fingers crossed?? Hell...everything is crossed!! You have to see the documentary Rossanna Arquette did on music (the theme basically the same as your comments about music)you would thoroughly enjoy it. It's called "All We Are Saying". It's a 2005 playing on The Movie Network right now, so it should be out for rent. I know, I know it's taken me forever to join the world of bloggers but you know me..even e-mails are few and far between..but hopefully with the new job that will change. Miss ya & lots of love from Whitby!!
Love Aunt Mo
Post a Comment
<< Home